Temperature sending unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature sending unit

So my 98 head doesnt have a place for the gauge sending unit. where do i put it? sam said in the thermostat housing but i dont see how. please share and pics are super duper

I think mine is in the t-stat housing. If no one else takes a picture I'll snap one first thing in the morning. First thing in the morning for me is going to be around 1pm though
    I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

The one in the t stat housing is for the computer. There is another one in older jeeps for the gauge in the instrument cluster on the back of the head.

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
        The one in the t stat housing is for the computer. There is another one in older jeeps for the gauge in the instrument cluster on the back of the head.
        I thought that the one I was thinking of was the temp. control sensor, thanks for clearing that up.
        I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

so you are using a stock one or putting aftermarket one in? renix ones are on the back of the head and some are on the side of the block
          1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
          2001 wj tbd
          1974 5 ton

Comment

I think until obd2 they were all in the back of the head but i could be wrong but i know my 94 did as well. Ill check tomorrow. thanks

Comment

they are sposed to go in the back of the head.

But I had my thermostat housing out and drilled a hole in that. there is a flat circle part on the front I drilled and tapped for one.

I THINK i had higher temp readings with it here than normal though because it was on the coolant coming out of the engine (hottest it gets) and not coolant in teh middle of the engine.
              www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

hokay. i dont have that sensor hole by the exhaust manifold. any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
                  hokay. i dont have that sensor hole by the exhaust manifold. any other ideas?
                  leave it out ? all that will happen is your temp gauge wont work on the dash... or drill and tap a hole like sam said.

I guess you could always pick up a small piece of metal/plastic pipe and hose clamp it inline somewhere and drill a hole in that instead

my 95 GC has a 91 XJ motor in it and ran into the same issue, I just left the sensor out....
                  up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                  eliminator MJ - Sold
                  99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                  Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

id rather have a temp sensor than have no clue. Im just going to to what sam said tho i think it may hurt the flow of the thermostat. ill figure something else out later

Comment

it doesn't hurt the flow of the thermostat

either that jeep ran hot or the temp reading there is 10* higher than in the back of the block.

im starting to think it just ran hot, because 96+ xj's have the temp sensor for the guage and computer is all in the same
                      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

when i put my guage cluster in my renix it had the temp sensor for the dummy light in the side of the block...so i picked up a thermostat housing from a 95ho that already was drilled and tapped for one.. might be something to look into...
                        95 xj JY 3" 35" truxus mt's

Comment

For when all else fails
                          http://www.steigerperformance.com/dif.cgi?sp40002
                          89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
                          95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
                          97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
                          If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Originally posted by WAD357 View Post
                            dang i never knew those existed. i can totally make one of those easy peasy if my current set up fails. Well i tapped my t-stat housing on the bigger hose side and have about 1/32 clearance between that and the fan haha.

Comment

Working...
                            X