Shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shims

does this look wrong? Changed my gear oil for the first time since the fresh gear job and the carrier shims dont look right... im about to put 1500 miles on my jeep this weekend and would hate for my rear end to blow up....

Looks like the inside diameter of those shims is a bit too big...
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

it was a really weird gear install, but the shims on there are suppose to be the right ID

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post

Looks like the inside diameter of those shims is a bit too big...
        I know absolutely zero about gears, and even I was thinking the same thing

Comment

that don't look good. x2 on what phil said.
          No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

They look a little big but i do not think they will cause any issues. They are held in there bu the axle shaft and they will stay there with out issues
            1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
            2001 wj tbd
            1974 5 ton

Comment

How many miles have you put on the rear since it was redone?
              89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
              95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
              97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
              If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

About 1000 miles

Comment

Is it a detroit thing that the shims have to be on the outside? Check the gear pattern but that is 100% not suppose to occur.

Comment

Just drive it.

Comment

its a 33 spline dana44 thing

banditt did my gears like that and the shims walked out like that after 20k miles and my ring gear went kablamo
                      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

I dunno but i don't remember the shims hanging out that bad on the sides like that when we put it in. looks like theres actually a gap on the pass side where the shims are hanging outside. if thats the case it may end up walking itself out and fukin up the whole deal.
                        88 manche-96 4.0 OBDII 5in 35's-new bumper..parked
                        ..............back under construction...
                        96 2door donor....
                        94 yj 4.0 5 sp .... dd only mods no track or sway bars

Comment

I wouldn't drive it have the guy re-due it right or get your money back.

Might want to buy different shims. I've had shims that are all thin they really suck to install and nothing holds them in.

Good shims have 2 large outer shims with flanged on the inside that lock the smaller shims in place by the bearing cap.
                          And OEM shims are all thick 1 piece and you pick the correct thickness.

What axle is that Dana axle put the shim under the bearing 8.8 and model 20 put them under the race.

Make sure you have enough carrier bearing preload which would help hold them in place add like another .010 to .015 to each side on top of spreading the case.
                          Per Randy's Ring and pinion it is very rare to have a gear set fail due to too much carrier preload, and carrier preload is very important to keep the ring gear in place under load.
                          This is why old timers will tell you that the static gear pattern should be near the toe (inner small side) of the ring gear because they would not put have enough carrier preload and the carrier would shift under load and the dynamic gear pattern would shift to the middle of the gear.

You should have a case spreader and BFH.

If you decide to fix it yourself we can walk you though the process.
                          But again I wouldn't continue driving like that. Maybe just back to the guy that installed them.
                          RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                          www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                          Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

I would put the shim between the inner race and differential
                            1950 Willys Trail Rig
                            2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Working...
                            X