roller fairlead vs. hawse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roller fairlead vs. hawse

i was just thinking the other day, what does everyone think is better for a wire rope winch? roller or hawse? i have wire with a hawse and it seems like it rubs a lot and maybe rollers would be better.
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

I was always under the impression that you only use a hawse fairlead with synthetic rope, and rollers with steel cable. Hawse fairleads are aluminum and seem like they would cause the steel cable to dig in when you are pulling to extreme left or right.

I could very easily be wrong though.
    Last edited by Even; 02-15-2010, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Even View Post
      I was always under the impression that you only use a hawse fairlead with synthetic rope, and rollers with steel cable. Hawse fairleads are aluminum and seem like they would cause the steel cable to dig in when you are pulling to extreme left or right.

I could very easily be wrong though.
      i always thought the same, i'm no expert tho

Comment

Just buy a steel hawse for wire and you are good to go. I have one with no issues.

Comment

from what ive seen rollers look fugly after a while and get rustys and stuck and whatnot
          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by konastinky1234 View Post
            i was just thinking the other day, what does everyone think is better for a wire rope winch? roller or hawse? i have wire with a hawse and it seems like it rubs a lot and maybe rollers would be better.
            Any friction you can take out of a pulling or lifting system means less wear and tear on the equipment and more power you can put to the load. Rolling friction is much less then sliding friction.

Metal to poly will create wear and friction. If you create enough friction you can melt your synthetic line. Remember the heat is being stored up in the fairlead and when you stop you are concentrating all that stored up heat on the same spot on the line.

Now granted you aren't going to generate the same fpm that a climber or rescue system will create (person falling on a rope) but you will create much more friction rubbing then rolling - simple physics. The more friction the quicker you wear out the line.

Wire (steel) rope on a steel Hawse will still wear out and create burs and snags in your cable. Wire on aluminum gets you more burs or galling and the added bonus of dissimilar metal corrosion in the cable (how many of you actually clean off your cable?).
            You're a ___________

Comment

Originally posted by Danksters View Post
              Any friction you can take out of a pulling or lifting system means less wear and tear on the equipment and more power you can put to the load. Rolling friction is much less then sliding friction.

Metal to poly will create wear and friction. If you create enough friction you can melt your synthetic line. Remember the heat is being stored up in the fairlead and when you stop you are concentrating all that stored up heat on the same spot on the line.

Now granted you aren't going to generate the same fpm that a climber or rescue system will create (person falling on a rope) but you will create much more friction rubbing then rolling - simple physics. The more friction the quicker you wear out the line.

Wire (steel) rope on a steel Hawse will still wear out and create burs and snags in your cable. Wire on aluminum gets you more burs or galling and the added bonus of dissimilar metal corrosion in the cable (how many of you actually clean off your cable?).

Well said

Enough said
              HOONIGAN FOR LIFE
              OLD 4X4'S NEVER DIE!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Danksters View Post
                how many of you actually clean off your cable?
                Probably wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole

My roller fairlead sticks out farther than the front bumper and has some rock rash subsequently, so much I think it no longer rolls. Can't win.
                1950 Willys Trail Rig
                2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

this is all helpful. i was just having some random thoughts really since my winch came with a wire rope and steel hawse fairlead. i would have expected rollers on wire. it works fine though, and i guess ill try not to do too many extreme side pulls to avoid excessive wear on the fairlead and line.
                  Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Comment

They get beat up wheeling, no way around it. The best thing to do is plan for the worst, wear gloves and put something on the line if there are people in danger of it whipping if it was to break. The nice thing about synthetic line is its not going to kill you if it breaks.
                    1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

Originally posted by OWEN View Post
                      They get beat up wheeling, no way around it. The best thing to do is plan for the worst, wear gloves and put something on the line if there are people in danger of it whipping if it was to break. The nice thing about synthetic line is its not going to kill you if it breaks.
                      this is true, and also the added benefit of having synthetic line is the weight reduction

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                        this is true, and also the added benefit of having synthetic line is the weight reduction
                        I like the extra weight up front... helps keep the tires down
                        1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

Working...
                        X