Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drive flanges vs hubs

pros and cons of each?
    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
    2001 wj tbd
    1974 5 ton

Drive flanges break less easily, you can shift into 4wheel without getting out, more clearance inward at the hub (usually).

Hubs will let you drive out of the trail if you snap an inner shaft without having to do any wrenching. no strain on the front half of the drivetrain during day to day driving. improved gas milage.

thats all stuff ive heard while looking into this myself. cant say for sure as ive only run hubs so far. so it could all be BS.
    im really considering drive slugs tho.
    hope this helps.
    "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
    It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

all ive ran is hubs and just started looking into the flanges http://www.rockcrusherdiffs.com/driveflange.html
      1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
      2001 wj tbd
      1974 5 ton

Comment

im a fan of locking hubs

i have drive flanges as spares

if i break ANYTHING internally in my front end

be it gears, shafts, locker, i can just unlock my hubs and it will be like nothing ever happened and i can get home without issue.

of course if you break anything you can always pull the drive flange as well, just zip tie a plastic bag or something over the open hub.

strength of the hubs isnt an issue either, i have gone through several shafts and a locker and one hub (as a result from a broken outer shaft)

oh and its nice when you are too cheap to buy a new driveshaft to replace your vibrating one.

oh and i have 2 low which does prove to be nice on occasion
        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
          of course if you break anything you can always pull the drive flange as well, just zip tie a plastic bag or something over the open hub.
          dont most come with caps that you can throw back on to keep shit out?

Edit: nevermind. i see they bolt to the flange.

Double Edit: Distinctive design allows for removal of drive gear while retaining cover assembly to keep debris out of the axle. those are the polyperformance ones.
          Last edited by HitItWithSomeSpeed; 02-12-2010, 12:22 PM.
          "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...

Comment

i wouldn't run flanges on the street. shits always engaged.

hubs are like a cheap week link. and like others have pointed out can be disengaged when you break shit.
            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
              hubs are like a cheap week link.
              They go on for days?

Comment

Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed View Post
                They go on for days?
                yup, 7 to be exact........... dick
                "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Hahahahahahahahah

sorry dude. Im not one to be a grahammor natsee, but I had to.

I couldnt pass up the chance to use the phrase, "it goes on for days."

Comment

ii have a hub that i have yet to fix and its stuck on "engage" and having an unbalanced driveshaft at 60+ MPH SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Comment

I am looking at flanges, if I break anymore D60 hubs. I really don't think it would take too long to throw the slug in on the trail, do it while airing down with a T handle allen.
                      1950 Willys Trail Rig
                      2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        ii have a hub that i have yet to fix and its stuck on "engage" and having an unbalanced driveshaft at 60+ MPH SUCKS!!!!!!!!
                        Hey Mike, I took some time and wrote you a somewhat detailed responce to your thread, hope you got to see it.
                        1950 Willys Trail Rig
                        2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

I was almost certain there is a company that sells covers that you can throw on after you pull the slug.

If that's the case, I don't see why you would run hubs. I'll have to look into this though.

Comment

i'm not sure if i'm thinking about the correct thing but chris with the orange bronco has solid slugs in his front 60. when we were driving to RC we took them out to unlock the axle and put the cap back on. of course the wheel bearing exploded just after this but thats another story
                            I drive a Datsun

Comment

F-L-A-N-G-E... it just blew on hawk

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Working...
                              X