Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone familiar with the brake pedal assembly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone familiar with the brake pedal assembly?

Ok this is something that has driven me fucking batty for a year now with the XJ.

At some point, my brake pedal developed enough play in it that sags enough to where the brake lights come on, unless you pull up on the pedal. Theres the little piece there that i guess is the piece the position sensor is connected to for that, where if i space it up with washers off the pedal enough to be higher, itll keep the brakelights off and make it work correctly, but i have tried epoxy there and other such methods and it eventually always comes apart and the problem persists.

Why the fuck is this play in my pedal and what can I do to fix it? Is there some bushing there that is toast that I can replace? or something i can tighten somewhere?

Maybe I should just have a fawking washer welded there, but it seems like a retarded way to fix it.
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

your braking system all works fine though? Besides the light coming on and the peddle... do the brakes actually function correctly?
    You better decide if you are hanging on the cross, or banging in the nails

Comment

there are little plastic bushings in that pedal... BUT.. i really cant see that being the problem...

basicly all the pedals are on one big bolt with bushings... the brake switch "if im correct" can easily be broken off and can loosen up... that part is like 15 bucks at autozone and they usually have them in stock... try taking a look at that and see what ya find

there should be no other reason why you have play other than the stupid platic bushings or the switch....

there is also a stupid plastic bushing on the rod that the pedal pushes on... take a look at that too
      Originally posted by Ktmracer419
      some people choose video games
      some choose projects
      some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by Saharicon View Post
        your braking system all works fine though? Besides the light coming on and the peddle... do the brakes actually function correctly?
        Yeah the brakes function normally

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
        there are little plastic bushings in that pedal... BUT.. i really cant see that being the problem...

basicly all the pedals are on one big bolt with bushings... the brake switch "if im correct" can easily be broken off and can loosen up... that part is like 15 bucks at autozone and they usually have them in stock... try taking a look at that and see what ya find

there should be no other reason why you have play other than the stupid platic bushings or the switch....

there is also a stupid plastic bushing on the rod that the pedal pushes on... take a look at that too
        thanks ill try and get a look at these things...space is tight down there..ill report back when i can look, unless its obvious to me
        - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

The same thing happened in my old chevy truck, the pedal would stay down and chase the brake lights to stay down unless you lifted it manually, I actually never figured it out but what I believed is that it was said switch, that had jut loosened up and no longer held the pedals weight
          dirty30

Comment

Brake booster issue?
            88 YJ...kinda. Clayton Hard Arms, V8, 1 tons w/Detroits, twin sticked T-18/NP205, Irok's, MasterCrafts, fuel cell, multi-colored

Comment

Its cuz the new brake booster rod has a bigger opening then the old one so there is some more play causing the switch to not hit the pedal and the brake lights are on. so put a spacer in there. the issue is not the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
                Its cuz the new brake booster rod has a bigger opening then the old one so there is some more play causing the switch to not hit the pedal and the brake lights are on. so put a spacer in there. the issue is not the switch.
                Have you known this ever since we put in the new booster?

Hate hands.
                - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

ooooooooo..... was unaware of the booster swap...

yeup... sounds like ya need a little spacer...
                  Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                  some people choose video games
                  some choose projects
                  some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                    Have you known this ever since we put in the new booster?

Hate hands.
                    yes. i told u that but we didnt have time so i duct taped that spacer up there that moved halfway through the trip haha.

Comment

The brake light sensor is self adjusting. You extend it all the way out and the pedal will push it back in the correct distance.

If you disconnect the pedal to the booster or what not it will allow the pedal to come up further than normal it will set the switch further up.

Second thing to check hole on the booster rod pedal connection they like to oval out I've drilled if over size and add a bushing or weld it and redrill it to size.

I would try to just reset the light switch first and see what happens. It can be a pain to get to, probably don't even need any tools and it will only takes a minute once you can figure out how to get your hands on it. Extend it back out, it might be hard to move you need a bit of force, but it will move.

They have the same type of switches on clutches anti start style. Sucks when the car will not start after you do a clutch.
                      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                      www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                      Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Working...
                      X