ford 8.8 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ford 8.8 questions

i found a ford 8.8 for free out of my friends crashed explorer and want to take it for a future install but dont know if it would be worth the trouble or not. it seems fairly simple to remove the axle from the explorer but then i have no idea what else ill need to do to swap it into my tj.

i know gears are an issue which is why id have to wait to put the axle in so i would find the ratio i want, put it in and then change my front axles ratio as well.

once the axle is removed can i just bolt it in and attach everything? im not sure what the story on brakes is either. how do you do that?

i know the stock carrier is weak and i would upgrade that with whatever i get while im doing the gears and locker options. (its going to be a long work in progress im thinking)

do you have to weld anything? or add brackets?

any help/experience with axle swaps is greatly appreciated. especially with the ford 8.8. so what does everyone think is it worth it for me to get it or no?

oh and one more question, should i wait to look for other axles around? this one is free thats why im jumping at it kind of. and i probably will never go larger than 35in tires if that helps on advice.
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

You are going to need to cut off all the old bracketry and weld on new control arm, coil spring, and shock mounts.

Comment

Deff not just bolt in.

Comment

where are you located?

I'm pretty good at welding and I have the 8.8 in a YJ if you want to take a look
        http://www.chucksirois.com/jeep

Comment

im located in wallingford but even so with all that stuff you just mentioned i dont think it's a job that im suited for. i dont have any of the equipment or know how to do that. how about for the dana 44 or 60? are those much less work to put in a tj?

Comment

I have a set of cragar soft 8's that will fit the ford bolt pattern if your interested? Mint condition.
            06 Wrangler TJ 6 Speed 4" Rough Country Lift on BF Goodrich 33's.

Comment

Originally posted by konastinky1234 View Post
              im located in wallingford but even so with all that stuff you just mentioned i dont think it's a job that im suited for. i dont have any of the equipment or know how to do that. how about for the dana 44 or 60? are those much less work to put in a tj?
              no matter what axle you get you have to weld the brackets in them to make it work with your jeep.

if you are unwilling to learn or have someone help you do the welding/setup you have 2 options.

1. find a used TJ d44 (good luck) they are over $1,000 in stock trim

2. find a new or used custom axle made for a tj, think about spending A LOT OF MONEY

so i would re-consider someone willing to lend a hand to swap an axle in. get the free 8.8, bring old axle (though i would recommend new brackets) and new axle over some ones house and get to work. you will learn a lot when the day is over.
              "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

ok that sounds like still a lot of work but all good stuff to learn like you said. im going to have to keep looking into it. unfortunately i just found out that the guy claimed insurance on it as being totaled so i cant take any parts off of it. guess ill have to keep looking.

Comment

get the 8.8 and buy the brackets from MORE offroad and have them welded on, it would be the cheapest route for a better axle

Comment

oh also forgot.... make sure it's got 4:10's

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                      get the 8.8 and buy the brackets from MORE offroad and have them welded on, it would be the cheapest route for a better axle
                      thats where i got my bracketry, here http://www.mountainoffroad.com/Catal...stall-kit.html
                      God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

i knew about the gearing. unfortuantely i pretty much NEED to make sure it has 4.88s at minimum with my 4 banger and hopefully 33s or 35s in the distant future. my 4.10s with 31s dog real bad already.

just wondering, those kits that you buy with all the brackets and what not, how tough is that to hook up to the axle? a lot of time, know how, etc? and are there good directions or do you pretty much have to figure it all out yourself? just wondering what the process was like really

thanks

Comment

My 4banger on 33s sucks, 4.10s suck, I'm going to 4.88s and I can't wait.
                          I swapped in my 8.8 last year, I didn't know a whole lot about it but it was well worth it. Swapping it myself took some time but I learned alot
                          Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by konastinky1234 View Post
                            i knew about the gearing. unfortuantely i pretty much NEED to make sure it has 4.88s at minimum with my 4 banger and hopefully 33s or 35s in the distant future. my 4.10s with 31s dog real bad already.

just wondering, those kits that you buy with all the brackets and what not, how tough is that to hook up to the axle? a lot of time, know how, etc? and are there good directions or do you pretty much have to figure it all out yourself? just wondering what the process was like really

thanks
                            google is your friend.

read THIS , then go do it
                            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

it would also be in your best interest to do a 4.0 throttlebody&spacer on you 2.5

Comment

Working...
                              X