Opinion on locking my axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on locking my axle

I have a dana 35 rear end in my 90 xj. I hear ups and downs about putting a locker in it. What do you guys and gals all think. I really need a locked rear and i don't want to go through all the hassle of swapping an axle, so honestly what are your experiences if any with locking a dana 35? I was thinking a lockrite by the way.
    Lift: 4.5" RC
    Tires: 33" BFG A/T's
    Misc: Hamerred Tan Paint, Homemade Roof Rack, Bumpers and Half Doors.

not worth locking a d35, go get a 97+8.25 or XJ D44 and lock that.
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by MdgtRac View Post
      I really need a locked rear and i don't want to go through all the hassle of swapping an axle, so honestly what are your experiences if any with locking a dana 35?
      you are in the wrong hobbie
      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

exprosen as my asian friends say.
        You better decide if you are hanging on the cross, or banging in the nails

Comment

you are lucky your dana35 is still alive on 33's nevermind with a locker thrown in the picture.
          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

i snapped 3 D35 axle shafts in a month and a half. two in the same weekend.

was locked for only one of them, open for the other two.

trust me on this, you will save more money and time and hassle in the long run just finding an XJ D44 or 29 spline 8.25 and swapping that in and locking it.

hope you trust us on this one.
            "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
            It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

I call bullshit. You have never EVER heard ups about a D35.

Comment

hahaha dont waste your time
                1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                2001 wj tbd
                1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                  you are lucky your dana35 is still alive on 33's nevermind with a locker thrown in the picture.
                  X2
                  1998 2Dr Cherokee. 4.0 HO with an AX-15 5spd and NP231. Dana 30HP front and ford 8.8 rear.
                  .,=====o00o ______________
                  //___l__,\____\,___ ____
                  l_---\____l----[]lllllll[] _
                  _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Comment

a d35 will break if you look at it funny.

i would deff get an 8.25. 29 spline would be best bet but if you can only find a 27 it would still be better than that d35.

im gonna be running a welded 8.25 27 spline in about a week ill let ya know how that works out haha
                    #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

Its will be way more of a hassle dragging your jeep out of the woods with a broken d35 shaft (and it will snap locked or unlocked), then it would to swap in a 29 spline 8.25, you can easily find them for $100 bucks or under, and that axle will live no problem locked with 33's..and it bolts right in.
                      98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

Honestly an axle swap isn't to hard when they are bolt on. I bet a few guys on here wouldn't mind helping if it meant beer.
                        -Matt
                        Facebook

Comment

okay okay okay you guys convinced me. But in the mean time. Couldn't i just weld it up and wait for it to break, while looking for an axle. What is your guys thoughts on a lincoln locker anyways, keep in mind i have to drvie it on the road too.
                          Lift: 4.5" RC
                          Tires: 33" BFG A/T's
                          Misc: Hamerred Tan Paint, Homemade Roof Rack, Bumpers and Half Doors.

Comment

Never spool up a daily.

Comment

Dont even weld it. Like everyone said D35 snap axel shafts unlocked in daily driving. There area lot of people on here who run auto lockers with no real issues.
                              2000 XJ with goodies soon to be in pieces
                              1999 XJ will get most of the 2000XJ doodads.

Comment

Working...
                              X