• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    stock steering doesnt even have to hit something to bend

def seen that more than once
    yep, it happened to me

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post
      So what happens when you bend 2-3 sets of stock steering on a single run?
      youve done it?

stock steering doesnt even have to hit something to bend

def seen that more than once
      chances are it was pre-bent from an impact and uber pressure finished it off

i mean c'mon. we are talkin about someone who wheels in mud puddles behind malls

i have stock steering on my new xj, its a little tweaked, and i have been wheeling on it tweaked for the last couple runs, and i havent been babying it either. and i have a straight set to fall back on just chillin under my spare tire.

the xj that kicks my ass at rcrocs most of the time is on stock sturrin. not that i agree with it for our purposes, but it holds up.
      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

This is coming from the guy who used to give me shit all the time for having stock steering. Just sayin Sam. My stock steering wasnt terrible, I didnt turn it into a v shape but I did but bends in two tie rods. The last tie rod I had on it lasted for quite a few wheeling trips, but I still had to be careful in the rock cause I didnt want that shit to bend or break. Now I have Wonton OTK and its sweet, so High and so much beef. Ill carry a spare TRE or two, but if something happens and I break another one or sumtin Ill go to Autozone and get a TRE for a cheby and it works.
        -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

well since we r all telling our life stories of steering.... i ran stock on 35s... and it bent on a pebble... ran v8 steering and bent that on a rock.... ran stock steering and bent the draglink... then the best ive run is stock with angle iron welded over it... lasted a long ass time and was great to re-align...
          Originally posted by Ktmracer419
          some people choose video games
          some choose projects
          some choose welding random things together

Comment

if youre gonna say run stock steering as opposed to 1 ton for the sake of parts availability and cost, then that opens up one of biggest advantages to building a d30 to begin with, which is national common parts availability

so i either carry a few TREs or go to the store to get a new one, i feel that is hugely outweighed by the fact i have steering made of WAY stronger components than stock, and 80% of the axle can be acquired at any junkyard on planet earth or parts store with just about a guarantee. i say 80% just because obviously you cant get 4.56 gears or a locker at any corner store or yard...

why run alloy shafts if u can just run cheap replaceable stock ones? why build aftermarket non-stock axles and risk not being able to find a part in the off chance it breaks?

guess we'll agree to disagree....
            - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
            or am asians pants not a read end lol.
            Originally posted by DizzDizz
            aliens probed my husband

Comment

plus Bill @ SVE said it is only for "looks" and "cool factor" so that in and of itself is a good enough reason to run it IMO.
              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
                This is coming from the guy who used to give me shit all the time for having stock steering. Just sayin Sam. My stock steering wasnt terrible, I didnt turn it into a v shape but I did but bends in two tie rods. The last tie rod I had on it lasted for quite a few wheeling trips, but I still had to be careful in the rock cause I didnt want that shit to bend or break. Now I have Wonton OTK and its sweet, so High and so much beef. Ill carry a spare TRE or two, but if something happens and I break another one or sumtin Ill go to Autozone and get a TRE for a cheby and it works.
                i was ball busting for the most part

if youre gonna say run stock steering as opposed to 1 ton for the sake of parts availability and cost, then that opens up one of biggest advantages to building a d30 to begin with, which is national common parts availability

so i either carry a few TREs or go to the store to get a new one, i feel that is hugely outweighed by the fact i have steering made of WAY stronger components than stock, and 80% of the axle can be acquired at any junkyard on planet earth or parts store with just about a guarantee. i say 80% just because obviously you cant get 4.56 gears or a locker at any corner store or yard...

why run alloy shafts if u can just run cheap replaceable stock ones? why build aftermarket non-stock axles and risk not being able to find a part in the off chance it breaks?

guess we'll agree to disagree....
                because i can swap out sturrin faster with less tools, and if i go to alloy shafts, i can still use cheapo stockers for spares. if you go 1 ton, you need 1 ton spares.

ANYWAY

im not saying it doesnt have its place

if you have a geared locked, pretty dana30 id rock it

if you are jeepinjosh and wheel in puddles and have an otherwise stock dana30, fock that noise, just get free stock steering.

my stock sturrin is all bent up and i would have no plans just to upgrade the steering on it.

and if your lift height is so tall it makes your penis seem larger you also have a use for new steering, and may as well make it beef

plus Bill @ SVE said it is only for "looks" and "cool factor" so that in and of itself is a good enough reason to run it IMO.
                touche'
                www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post

if you have a geared locked, pretty dana30 id rock it

if you are jeepinjosh and wheel in puddles and have an otherwise stock dana30, fock that noise, just get free stock steering.
                  ill agree to these terms
                  - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

If I were Josh I would rock at least a V8 ZJ tie rod.

Comment

First off i dont wheel in mud puddles yes i have been mudding a bunch of times but its honestly sucks. ive been doing more rock wheeling and in mass were i wheel all summer i want to be able to go on the hard trails without braking something there are alot of rocks on those trails that are difficult i will get picks for proof as soon as the snow melts. anyways the death wobble is bad enough to scare you btu you can stay n control and i want to build my jeep strong without changing axle and stuff so the dana 30 stays.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepinjosh View Post
                        First off i dont wheel in mud puddles yes i have been mudding a bunch of times but its honestly sucks. ive been doing more rock wheeling and in mass were i wheel all summer i want to be able to go on the hard trails without braking something there are alot of rocks on those trails that are difficult i will get picks for proof as soon as the snow melts. anyways the death wobble is bad enough to scare you btu you can stay n control and i want to build my jeep strong without changing axle and stuff so the dana 30 stays.

then upgrade that ish
                        "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Working...
                        X