Need some welding/mechanic assistance 96 Cherokee Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some welding/mechanic assistance 96 Cherokee Sport

Hey guys I'm new to the site. I was referred actually by a member of a motorcycle forum bandofriders.net. Anyways I'm driving home last night in my 96 Jeep Cherokee Sport and I hear a loud crack. I get home (mind you its dark so I haven't been able to analyze the situation) and it looks like my lower control arm on the passenger side is hanging down. So just doing some quick research it seems I can either A) bring it to the stealer and have them quote me $1400 or B) Take a shot at having someone else who has some welding experience help me get this thing back into working condition. I'm located in Berlin, CT and I have access to a large garage behind my place. My work email is Lewist3@aetna.com and personal email is Bluewarrior7@hotmail.com. I regularly check work email daily and personal almost every couple of days. Any help would be appreciated guys.
    06 Wrangler TJ 6 Speed 4" Rough Country Lift on BF Goodrich 33's.

welcome!

if your lower control arm broke, im more than sure you can get one from someone for free or extremely cheap

if it was the unibody mount, then im sure someone here can help you out with the welding

see if u can get a picture or find out exactly whats goin on with it
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, when I get home from work tonight I'll try and snap a pic of it and hopefully we can diagnose the problem. I can say however that it is hanging down from below the passener side compartment, not near the axle. So I have reason to believe it snapped off the axle?
      Last edited by Bluewarrior7; 02-19-2009, 11:09 AM.

Comment

your axle mount may have tore off..in which thats a pretty easy fix with a welder most likely. pics would be ideal later when you get home...then we can square u away with what needs doin
        - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

I told you these guys would help you out. My welder and skills just aren't up to this kind of task.
          =Jeff=
          1993 XJ Sport, Rusty's 3" full pack, 235/75/15 Firestone Destination A/T's, custom sliders, custom bumper w/receiver, class III receiver
          1982 Honda CB750SC w/Kerker 4-2 exhaust, Unifilters, jet kit, HD Sportster seat, and Z-shaped bars.

Comment

So here's the picture of the damage, as you can see its the mount that actually snapped right off. Assessment of the damage?

Comment

ooo looks like you need a new control arm definitely as well

can either try and weld that mount back on, or snag these http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...E.aspx?id=1275

thats what i run on mine, not a bad price at all

as for the arm, id make a wanted ad, someones gotta have a control arm layin around for free or close to it
              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

I have stock control arms if you want them.
                -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
                  I have stock control arms if you want them.
                  Yes, I'll take the control arms. Shoot me a PM and maybe we can meet up this weekend if your gonna be around?

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                    ooo looks like you need a new control arm definitely as well

can either try and weld that mount back on, or snag these http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...E.aspx?id=1275

thats what i run on mine, not a bad price at all
                    I wouldn't mind snagging a pair of these, now I'll have the control arms, the mounting brackets, whose willing to help me out with the welding aspect?

Comment

One of our members is from Berlin and hes a hell of a welder/ fabricator. Heapxj is his username. I've bought some things from him in the past and hes a great guy. I'm not sure how recent his last post is, maybe Heavymetal can help you out with contacting him.
                      2000 XJ
                      2000 A.C.E. 750

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                        One of our members is from Berlin and hes a hell of a welder/ fabricator. Heapxj is his username. I've bought some things from him in the past and hes a great guy. I'm not sure how recent his last post is, maybe Heavymetal can help you out with contacting him.
                        That would be perfect Adam, thanks for your help.

Comment

Is an arc welder going to be too powerful for this job? I talked to one of the electricians who work out of the garage behind my house and they own one in the shop.

Comment

Mig Welder would be ideal Better penetration IMO

Comment

So the mounting brackets finally came in, and I picked up the stock control arms from Caleb last week (thanks again man). I called this Kensington Auto place yesterday and the guy wants to take out the entire axle and drain them to mount up the brackets? He says the weld will cool too quickly if he doesn't? Anyways he wants like 3-400 bucks to do the job because he says its like 3-4 hours of labor. Is this necessary, and as a last call can anyone help me out here? I just want this thing fixed already.

Comment

Working...
                              X