What to build....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to build....

alright so here's my situation, i need a reliable vehicle to drive everyday ie commute to school, things like that. I have also been aquiring parts to begin building a buggy, and with the xj being tempermental lately i've been toying with some options. help me out here on which one you'd pick.

option 1: Keep xj and gear it as a daily driver, build the buggy, have no way to tow the buggy.

option 2: part out xj, buy a truck capable of towing and build the buggy.

option 3: buy a truck, keep xj for what reason i don't know and begin a slow build on the buggy.

option 4: part out the xj and build a lowered ford ranger.
    option 1
    5.88%
    option 2
    17.65%
    option 3
    52.94%
    option 4
    23.53%
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

build an xjuggy.

what makes it not reliable as it is now? ive been driving my wheeling rig to work and school for most of the past 4 years and i have made it everyday. if you have a weak point in your rig, make it stronger.
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

I vote #3 that way you have something to build as you build a buggy, cuz you know its gonna take more than a winter

Comment

3.55's with the 33's. i know this is the problem, i mean it's only got 122k miles it runs great, no leaks, and i've build it right, so it's deff not a deathtrap haha.

this was my original plan to put the 4.88's in this lock the rear and be happy with it as a weekend wheeler that is still a capable daily driver. After i do that really begin work on the buggy, but that brings up the problem of how will i be able to transport that?

ForSure Motorsports
        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Build your XJ and wheel it more before you build a buggy. If its in that good of shape I would not part it out.
          -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

i had a similar predicament a few years ago

i ended up buying a tow rig for my beater xj on 37" boggers with more dents than a golf ball. the tow rig sat in my yard and i drove the cherokee every day.
            www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Like i said, i vote keep the xj and wheel it and slowly build the buggy, then by the time its done it'll be easy to part with the xj

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
                Build your XJ and wheel it more before you build a buggy. If its in that good of shape I would not part it out.
                i plan on continuing to wheel the xj.

the buggy build is really coming out of boredom. i got a cj 7 for cheap and a hp 44 front and dana 60 rear, with the welder coming in soon i am goin to start it as a project that will probably take well over a year before it even remotely see's the trails. but then again i've got some pretty big plans for it

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Originally posted by greenxj513 View Post
                  i plan on continuing to wheel the xj.

the buggy build is really coming out of boredom. i got a cj 7 for cheap and a hp 44 front and dana 60 rear, with the welder coming in soon i am goin to start it as a project that will probably take well over a year before it even remotely see's the trails. but then again i've got some pretty big plans for it
                  So do this lol then when the time comes for you to start wheelin it then you can buy tow rig

Comment

I think you need to think realistically about how much you will make from the part out. Personally I won't make shit if I part mine out, so I plan on keeping it. Even if that means stripping it and putting those parts on something else.

So my vote would be keep the xj, gear it or do whatever to make it dd-able for you. If you have some extra cash to throw at the buggy parts pile, then do it. At the same time keep your eyes open on a cheap tow rig.
                    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                    1999 sierra
                    1967 M725 Big and Slow
                    -Dan

Comment

option 5....build a nascar

seriously tho i DD'd my xj on 3.55's and 33's and it was not as bad as everyone said. In my opinion I couldn't justify spending the $500 or so for gears, hence why i didnt gear it. So, keep the XJ, DD it, then slowly build the CJ
                      P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                      2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                      OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

I agree with what Dan said.
                        - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                        or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                        Originally posted by DizzDizz
                        aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                          I agree with what Dan said.
                          X tew... Won't make much parting out.

I'm sure the buggy build will take longer than you think to build... it always does. You can always try to trade to XJ for a tow rig when the time comes.
                          99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread
                          http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15148

Comment

building something you cant drive on the road is teh suck. get a DD and a mean capable offroader
                            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

keep the xj to drive around and wheel while you build your buggy thing...

trust me.. it SUCKS not being able to go in the woods during a 6 month period.
                              never mind the time it would take to build a buggy
                              Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                              some people choose video games
                              some choose projects
                              some choose welding random things together

Comment

Working...
                              X