made a crossmemba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• made a crossmemba

And I think I may have fooked something up.

I basically pushed the t-case and trans up at least an inch or two to make the crossmember higher clearance than stock. Well, I took it for a test drive and the first thing I noticed was there is way more vibration/noise through the floor than there was before. I figured this was just because everything was much closer to the transmission tunnel, and brushed it off.

Went to try and shift into 4-lo and it's no good, either it stays in 4-hi or shit starts to gind and knock.

Did I just fuck up the t-case linkage, or could there be some other ill effects here from everything being pushed upwards?

This is on the ZJ btw.

The linkage might be out of adjustment
    I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Yea the t-case linkage isn't so much what I'm worried about, I know I can fix that.

The vibration and noise is what worries me. I guess my main question is, can there be any ill effects from pushing the trans/t-case up too close to the transmission tunnel?

Comment

Pics of said crossmember?
        You're a ___________

Comment

You raised the t-case into the tunnel, your increase in noise is probably due to the fact your trans/x-fer case is touching the tunnel, causing the whole shebang to vibrate
          dirty30

Comment

uploading

Comment

I think it could be that it is touching. But if you raised that with out the motor you could be pitching the tcase forward and screwing up the rear drive shaft angle creating a bind point
              1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
              2001 wj tbd
              1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by Cletus View Post
                I think it could be that it is touching. But if you raised that with out the motor you could be pitching the tcase forward and screwing up the rear drive shaft angle creating a bind point
                I didn't get vibes when I was driving, it just constantly vibrated and made more noise than before

blurry much?

Comment

is it solid mounted?
                  1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                  2001 wj tbd
                  1974 5 ton

Comment

It uses the factory rubber mount.

I just went out and checked, and noticed that the t-case is still contacting the crossmember slightly(sitting on top of it). I'll gind that more tommorow and see if it improves at all.

Comment

could also be you new rear driveshaft angle if you moved it up and inch or two that would affect your drive shaft angle and u-joints. also if it is touching the floor when you give it gas or hit the breaks which puts torque on it it may be slapping against the floor.
                      #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

lifting your t-case up is just as bad for vibes as lifting your suspension.

when i moved my case up 1.5" and clocked it I had to hammer the shit out of the tunnel to clear it. and it still hit.

make sure yo e-brake cables or anything aint hittin the driveshaft. i have had that happen too
                        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

So it sounds like this is most likely a vibe/t-case linkage issue? I can deal with that.

I just don't know shit about motors/trans so I didn't know if I was causing any harm elsewhere.

Comment

well, its likely the housing integrity bolt is currently being stressed more than it needs to be
                            - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                            or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                            Originally posted by DizzDizz
                            aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                              well, its likely the housing integrity bolt is currently being stressed more than it needs to be
                              FUCK.

See part out thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X