Freeze plugs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeze plugs...

I am looking at a dirt cheap 5.2 zj tomorrow. The owner says it needs a freeze plug. What kinda pain in the balls will replacing that be, on a scale of 1-10. AND, if it isnt leaking too bad should it be ok to drive 45 mins home?
    2001 TJ
    2001 Tahoe
    2013 M3
    1986 R65
    1997 Blackbird
    2013 R1200GS

i think you will need to remove the headers to replace them. i give them an 8 out of 10.

Comment

yeah, they are easy to replace but a mother father to get too properly. if its a small leak you can try a "stop leak" type product and see if that works, or at least bring some for the ride home. to replace you hammer then in then pry them out
      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

I just found a forum post on the forum of jeeps that shall not be named, about somebody using those expandable block pluigs from autozone instead of removing the head.

seems doable...
        2001 TJ
        2001 Tahoe
        2013 M3
        1986 R65
        1997 Blackbird
        2013 R1200GS

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
          yeah, they are easy to replace but a mother father to get too properly. if its a small leak you can try a "stop leak" type product and see if that works, or at least bring some for the ride home. to replace you hammer then in then pry them out
          fuck stop leak. Yeah you may jam up your freeze plug leak, but you'll also jam up your radiator and kill your thermostat. Basically you'll be jammed up till next week.
          1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
          1999 sierra
          1967 M725 Big and Slow
          -Dan

Comment

is it the freeze plug or the block? it's something you'll have to checkout, alot of people around here don't believe in coolant flush/replace and it has a shelf life like anything else...

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
              is it the freeze plug or the block? it's something you'll have to checkout, alot of people around here don't believe in coolant flush/replace and it has a shelf life like anything else...
              say what????
              Originally posted by Ktmracer419
              some people choose video games
              some choose projects
              some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
                fuck stop leak. Yeah you may jam up your freeze plug leak, but you'll also jam up your radiator and kill your thermostat. Basically you'll be jammed up till next week.
                yeh.. def. dont dump that shit in.. stuff costed me a radiator, therm., took months to get the crap flushed out...

as far as the rubber plugs.. dont even think of using them, they will work for a little while but give it time and that shit will be leaking right out.
                Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                some people choose video games
                some choose projects
                some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
                  yeh.. def. dont dump that shit in.. stuff costed me a radiator, therm., took months to get the crap flushed out...

as far as the rubber plugs.. dont even think of using them, they will work for a little while but give it time and that shit will be leaking right out.
                  Times tuw, tried using one on the back of the head, lasted two weeks then blew out on the road, sounded like someone shot a 12ga slug through the firewall
                  dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
                    i have helped some one do them on a dodge ram with a 5.2, and it wasnt that bad, just awkward positions
                    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

once you get to them, its takes like 30 seconds each plug. i did them when i had all that bullshit off doing motor mounts and whatnot.

Comment

Working...
                      X