throttle body upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throttle body upgrade?

i have a 98' 4cyl tj, would it be worth upgrading to a 4.0 throttle body? i've searched around and i hear good things.
    if so, what year throttle body should i look for? and what do i have to do to install it? thanks.

oh, and would installing an electric fan be worth the trouble?
    Last edited by kev711; 08-14-2009, 01:53 PM.

http://strokedjeep.com/index.html

do that. increases throttle response quite a bit, and gives a lot more tip-in. efans take the load off of the motor, which will make it rev freer most of all, and maybe free up 3-5hp.

Comment

you'd be looking for 94 to 05 any jeep vehicle with a 4.0 most all of the throttlebodies are the same..

Comment

thanks so much for the advice. i'm looking on ebay for a TB, unless you have a better idea

Comment

look around here, junk yards, jeep forums,craidslist ect...

Comment

i found one on ebay for $30...is that a good price?

Comment

I got a whole intake from a 4.0L out of a 96 XJ I think it is missing the IAC valve
              RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
              www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
              Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

how many sensors are on your throttle body ? older tb's have 3 sensors while older one's have only 2 bolted to it.
                up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                eliminator MJ - Sold
                99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

The 4.0 throttle body is a good move, try to find one out of a similar year tj with a 6 it will bolt right in and not cause any emissions issues and all the sensors will match, im looking to do this to mine soon.

The electric fan isn't worth the trouble for a bump of only 5 or 6 hp. Just save your money and energy and grab a chip instead. The stage I chip will bumb you up 10-15 may be 20hp and doesnt require any engine mods and all you do is plug it in and drive.

We both should have just got a 6cyl to begin with and saved ourselves the trouble.
                  99 TJ 4cyl, 4" short arm, 33" MTZ's, JKS quick discos, smittybilt front, rear & rockers

Work to be done: Clayton long arm, ford 8.8 rear locker & 1 ton

Comment

Originally posted by 1cleantj View Post
                    how many sensors are on your throttle body ? older tb's have 3 sensors while older one's have only 2 bolted to it.
                    i don't know if they were sensors but i seen 3 black pieces that plugged into it. are those the sensors you're talking about?

oh and would a 4.0L TB out of a 96 XJ fit on a 2.5L 98 tj?
                    Last edited by kev711; 08-25-2009, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimboDouglas View Post
                      The 4.0 throttle body is a good move, try to find one out of a similar year tj with a 6 it will bolt right in and not cause any emissions issues and all the sensors will match, im looking to do this to mine soon.

The electric fan isn't worth the trouble for a bump of only 5 or 6 hp. Just save your money and energy and grab a chip instead. The stage I chip will bumb you up 10-15 may be 20hp and doesnt require any engine mods and all you do is plug it in and drive.

We both should have just got a 6cyl to begin with and saved ourselves the trouble.
                      lol if i only did the research and knew how much difference gettin a 6cyl would have been, i would have waited but i still love my ride

Comment

Working...
                      X