stereo went haywire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stereo went haywire

I've had the same sub and amp set up for the past few years. I just like my music to have some bass but I have no desire for high quality equipment or tuning it perfectly or anything else. Anyways, I havent touched anything regarding my head unit, wires, or sub/amp in about a year. The other day randomly when I went to leave work I turned my jeep on and the sub was "firing" over and over again at the same tone, without regard for whatever level my stereo was at. I haven't had time to look at that much but as far as I can tell absolutely nothing has changed.

Still have a good ground, connections behind my h/u are fine, power and signal wire is connected properly. I know this is kind of vague but if anyone could help I'd appreciate it. Today I disconnected everything and re-connected it and it worked for a little while, but when I turned the radio up to where its a little louder, so like I could hear it clearly with my windows down while I'm moving, it did the same thing. Just started firing. For right now its disconnected. Just wondering if anyone has any input? The amp does not go into protection mode or whatever thats called. It just stays on and will continue to "fire" the sub.
    2000 XJ
    2000 A.C.E. 750

it's the amp, you may have 2 channels crossing each other for whatever reason.. My amp does the same thing when I tried bridging channel 3 and 4 to power the sub, there was "cross talk" which sounded like the amp firing.. thumpthumpthumpthumpthump.. so I unhooked one of the channels low inputs and unbridged the sub... works fine now with exception to the alternator whine coming through the system.

Comment

Thanks I will look at it in the morning. Maybe something frayed and is just barley touching the other connection to bridge it. thats the only thing I can think of.
      2000 XJ
      2000 A.C.E. 750

Comment

x2 on what hawk said

Comment

if you can get a buddy with a spare sub or just buy and hook one up temporarily, you'll find out quick.. but I'm betting it's the amp... they do a thing called thermo cycling, which happens with all computers/electronics.. amps can be especially susceptible to failure due to this occurrence. heat from the electicity flowing through, coupled with the temperatures the inside of your car can potentially reach can be quite damaging to electronics.

Comment

Working...
          X