school me on gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• school me on gears

First off to answer you even, from the thread that got deleted. yes i will be running 33's on 1tons but only because they are coming for free with the axles on rims, so i can still drive the truck around. then when i get money, i will be purchasing 37's. Leading me to the making of this thread.

I wanna run 37's, but i dont wanna get horrible EMM PEE GEEZ. This rig needs to make highway runs, and so forth. It is my DD. Now my question is basically this.

If sam is running what I think he said were 5.38s and getting 19.5 MPG or 36's. What gearing should I run to get somewhere close to that? I also realize that I have a 360 V8 and he has a Inline 6. Which are to big MPG factors.

But if possible, tell/explain to me why, as opposed to just telling me what gears to run. That would be much appreciated.
    Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
    didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
    Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
    he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
    Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
    i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

dude

one fucking inch

some 37's are smaller than my 36's and some 36's are larger than some 37's
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

4.10s, 37s and a doubler or 4 to 1 case. best of both worlds
      Originally posted by Fast Orange
      if you piss all over the floor and get 3 drops in the bowl do you count that as good? granted i'm good for a sprinkle or two on the seat, but you leave all of our feet wet, metaphorically speaking of course
      I find adam sandler strangely attractive, it must be josh's fault. god that kid sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
        dude

one fucking inch

truth.... it's really pretty crazy the difference in sizing among companies

Comment

Originally posted by Ruecifur View Post
          x2

Comment

only it will fuckin suck on the street

Comment

stock gears are 2.73s on the waggy, 4:10s shouldnt be a problem to push a 37, 4:56s if you want more juice from the get go.

Comment

oh

we are talkin about a wagina

i still say you would want lower gearing even for the street

Comment

dude

one fucking inch

question was less about tire size and more about motor. I want to get good/better gas milage, and stock my MPG is WAY worse than an XJ stock. So if i did the same gearing you have, and 36-37's wouldnt i still have less than 19.5?

Gears have always confused me, and just when I thought I had an idea, I was wrong. I am trying to come out with the best MPG's i can since this is gonna be the daily and the wheeler. Keeping in mind a twin sticked Dana 300 IS going into this thing.

I have been told here that if I do the d300 doubled, 4.10s would be ok. But i am not sure if I want to tear the T-case apart.

Comment

I'm gonna disagree. With an overdrive thats 70mph at 2000 rpm. Given that he has a v8 i would say it should overcome the low end loss acceptably
                    if you piss all over the floor and get 3 drops in the bowl do you count that as good? granted i'm good for a sprinkle or two on the seat, but you leave all of our feet wet, metaphorically speaking of course
                    I find adam sandler strangely attractive, it must be josh's fault. god that kid sucks

Comment

Originally posted by hippie metal View Post
                      I have been told here that if I do the d300 doubled, 4.10s would be ok. But i am not sure if I want to tear the T-case apart.
                      you don't have to tear apart a 300 to double it. You hack up a 231 to make it happen, and its not hard, just a bit of a pain in the ass (had to take mine apart 3 times to get a good seal)

play with the numbers in the gear calculator:
                      http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Comment

you don't have to tear apart a 300 to double it. You hack up a 231 to make it happen, and its not hard, just a bit of a pain in the ass (had to take mine apart 3 times to get a good seal)

play with the numbers in the gear calculator:
                        http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

that is a useful site. but i dont know ALL the info need to do that. i just know part numbers and what not. i dont know that the ratios of my foward drive gears are and crap like that. i know what tcase, which transmission, and what possible gearing. so i just keep getting NaN as an answer
                        Last edited by hippie metal; 06-25-2009, 06:35 PM.

Comment

it has the tranny ratios listed. Pick your tranny from the drop down menu.

Comment

it has the tranny ratios listed. Pick your tranny from the drop down menu.
                            the tranny i am getting, i dont see in the drop down list. and i am not sure what my current one is

Comment

what tranny are you gettin?

Comment

Working...
                              X