Axle Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Seals

the driver side seal on my rear 44 is pissing alot. like a big puddle of gear oil behind my driver side rear tire everytime i park it. how hard is it to pull the carrier and replace the seal, assuming this is what i have to do. can i do this fix myself? while its under the jeep? cause i have no idea what to do if they have to be pressed. any suggestions?
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

pull axle shaft

remove wheel burrin

replace seal

replace burrin

install shaft
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

I believe you pull the axle and its pressed into the housing. Use a pry bar to remove and tap in the new seal.

Comment

Originally posted by 88xjchief View Post
        I believe you pull the axle and its pressed into the housing. Use a pry bar to remove and tap in the new seal.
        not on xj 44's

Comment

Didnt know that. I never did axle seals on a jeep. Ive done GMs where they are pressed into the housing.

Comment

ok, not to sound like a moron but what's a burrin? The only axle stuff i've ever done was on an 8.25, and even then i doubt i know where the seal even is... somewhere between the diff and the wheel hahaha.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

bearing

Comment

http://completeoffroad.com/i-122862-...na-44-std.html

is this what i want??

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

think i will need this fancy tool??

http://completeoffroad.com/i-122839-...0-dana-60.html

ForSure Motorsports
                  Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

you arent doing inner axle seals on a front axle

you are doing outer axle seals by the wheel

Comment

wouldn't it be the inner because the gear oil is comming through that and all the way down the axle tube??

ohhh and i could only find the inner seal, a local parts store should have it right??

i'm reading threads on it.... and some of them say i have to replace the bearing too. is this nessesary?
                      Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 06-16-2009, 02:20 PM.

ForSure Motorsports
                      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

i know alot of questions.... i'm sorry.

ForSure Motorsports
                        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

rear axle right.
                          oil is supposed to go down the tubes that is what lubes the outer axle bearings.

On 44 because they are non C-clip axles the bearing is pressed on the axle with a plate under it that bolts onto the axle to keep it in. No need to take the carrier out.

Undo the 4 plate bolts that keep the axle in you usually need a slide hammer to get the axle out. Cut the bearing off with a die grinder or you can use a press, there should also be an extra ring behind the bearing that also gets pressed on the help keep the axle from falling out. Press the new bearings back on reassemble revers order.
                          I cannot remember if the 44 has shims to set the preload on the outer axle bearings I don't think so I know some do like the model 20.

Good luck
                          RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                          www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                          Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

ok that makes the write-up i just read with photos make sense. hahaha. thanks guys i'm gonna give this a go either this afternoon or tommorrow, doesn't seem too bad.

ForSure Motorsports
                            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...idproduct=1532

99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread
                              http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15148

Comment

Working...
                              X