Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T-Case Leaking ATF, and driveline vibes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Case Leaking ATF, and driveline vibes!

So almost everything got done just barely in time for "Camp MJ". For that a GIANT THANK YOU goes out to Justin, OTTE, and Caleb for working through the night trying to help me get ready. Thanks guys, I really do owe you!

After installing the SYE wed night, Justin and OTTE told me my driveshafts weren't the right length. I though it was the end! The next (thurs) morning Nica and I called ALL OVER, and finally found ONE shop in CT that could shorten my front shaft and lengthen my brand new CV rear driveshaft same day. Overland in Montville (2hrs away from me). I was in and out in about 2hrs! Great guys, very helpfull

Justin, OTTE, and Caleb came back over thursday night to prevent me from having a complete meltdown and help again, they left at 05:00 on fri morning (Man do I owe you guys!)
    The driveshafts fit PERFECT! Awesome!

Wehn they left I was still tighteneing minor things, making sure everything was ready for a 4hr drive, 2 days of wheeling, and another 4hr drive back.

While on the highway heading to RC there was a vibration at 65+mph. It was intermittent, and alternated between the front and rear (you could hear and feel it, and where it was coming from). I'm not sure, but I think the driveshafts could be out of balance .... Anyway, wheeled found some new noises and ended up with some deathwobble (trackbar came loose somehow ).... While checking everything I might have broke on the trail, I found a lot of little things, but no leaks.

On the way home, the vibrations came back, no worse than before, but still there and persistant. I got some gas off the highway, and checked underneath my jeep. There was some ATF on my belly pan, and where the back of the T-case meets the rest was wet with ATF. I drove it home as it wasn't dripping anywhere.
    Got home, the belly the spot on the belly pan was larger, but again, no drips, and it wasn't all over the place.
    Last night, I took the jeep out to the local diner, same vibrations. When I got it home, I decided to check it out again. EVERYTHING was soaked, my T-case, belly pan, rear driveshaft, and my entire rear axle was dripping with ATF.

WTF? could my driveshafts be out of balance? Could they vibrate the seal loose on the T-case? I don't see any cracks or anything, but this problem needs attention NOW since I only have 4 days left!
    Last edited by bucketokarma; 04-28-2009, 08:03 PM.
    Shane "The Bag" Carlson

2.5L TJ, 5-speed, frankenlift, and stuff.
    My "Bucket" Build
    MilitaryJeepers.com
    ‚——P--;===±--= <-
    !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

probably didnt seal the back half of the tcase good enough and now it leaks. as for vibes, they happen and wont go away.

Comment

i have never gotten a perfect seal on the t-case housing with rtv. shit always leaks.

whats your rear pinion angle look like?

grab the shafts and check for the slightest amount of play anywhere and get back to us
      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

it could have knocked the seal around but worse yet i hope you didnt crack anything. see if you can clean it up and brakleen around the trans a t case to get all of the oil off. put in some ATF and take it for a short test drive. hopefully you will be able to see where it is most likely coming from

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

No play in the shafts.... It still looks like the leak is coming from the seal, but it only leaks when its driving at speeds above 30-ish, and then it REALLY starts leaking. I couldn't believe it when I got home after driving less than 10 minutes each way, that ATF was DRIPPING from my axle, but when it's parked, there is no leak, no puddle, nothing!
          Shane "The Bag" Carlson

My "Bucket" Build
          MilitaryJeepers.com
          ‚——P--;===±--= <-
          !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

well does it seem like its coming from that seal?

Comment

From where the T-case splits in half, that's where it seems to be coming from.
              Shane "The Bag" Carlson

My "Bucket" Build
              MilitaryJeepers.com
              ‚——P--;===±--= <-
              !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

for that i use anaerobic sealer and i have never had a problem.
                1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                2001 wj tbd
                1974 5 ton

Comment

YOUR TCASE IS LEAKING ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND FIREARMS?? WHAT THE FUCK!!
                  sigpic
                  Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by raze1287 View Post
                    for that i use anaerobic sealer and i have never had a problem.

This stuff, what is it?
                    Shane "The Bag" Carlson

My "Bucket" Build
                    MilitaryJeepers.com
                    ‚——P--;===±--= <-
                    !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                      YOUR TCASE IS LEAKING ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND FIREARMS?? WHAT THE FUCK!!
                      Yes Phil, and there is a long line of minorities chasing me down wherever I go because of it. Do you see why this is a problem?
                      Shane "The Bag" Carlson

My "Bucket" Build
                      MilitaryJeepers.com
                      ‚——P--;===±--= <-
                      !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

this stuff

what did you use to seal it when you put the SYE in?

Comment

I believe we used black RTV
                          2000 XJ with goodies soon to be in pieces
                          1999 XJ will get most of the 2000XJ doodads.

Comment

RTV... looks about the same... what makes this shit so special?.... Is there an actual gasket I could get for it, or would that be hella expensive?

:edit:
                            I think Otte is correct.
                            Shane "The Bag" Carlson

My "Bucket" Build
                            MilitaryJeepers.com
                            ‚——P--;===±--= <-
                            !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

I wasn't there on Thursday night?
                              -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X