Upgraded Wiring Harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded Wiring Harness?

Just bought an upgraded wiring harness for my jeep.

The stock lights are absolute shit. Figured i'd do something about it.

Anyways, i would just like someone to give me a real quick clarification.

Do i simply replace the stock wiring with this, or do i have to run it straight from the battery to the lights?

I currently have the radiator, and a bunch of other shit out of the jeep because the radiator had a leak in it. Figured i might as well put the harness in while i have all that room up there.

Oh, and how do i aim the new headlights?

Harness i bought - [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P29X4G/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01[/ame]
    Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

First off...id NEVER replace my stock harness with what looks like a universal "automotive lighting harness". You lights are your lights. Different harness isnt gonna do shit for you. Buy some new headlight lenses and nice bulbs if you want more light, IMHO. Or get some fog lights, personally, i think your taking a completely wrong approach to reach the goal youre trying to achieve.
    Last edited by hippie metal; 01-29-2013, 01:58 AM.
    Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
    didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
    Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
    he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
    Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
    i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

Originally posted by hippie metal View Post
      First off...id NEVER replace my stock harness with what looks like a universal "automotive lighting harness". You lights are your lights. Different harness isnt gonna do shit for you. Buy some new headlight lenses and nice bulbs if you want more light, IMHO. Or get some fog lights, personally, i think your taking a completely wrong approach to reach the goal youre trying to achieve.
      Everyone recommends changing out the stock harness with a different one to pump out more voltage.

I did buy new bulbs and housings as well, but i wasn't confused on how to install them. Just confused on how to aim them and where you run the upgraded harness.

Bulbs - [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CO7NGI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00[/ame]

Housing - [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WCOG5A/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00[/ame]
      Hudson

Comment

Ive never heard of anybody saying to change stock harness out to gain more voltage. Sounds like a jeepforum thing. Also, you have a lifted XJ your gonna blind people and a cop CAN ticket you if he wants for being taller and blasting a million watts into his retinas at 45 mph

Comment

I didnt look at what bulbs you bought, but when going to a higher wattage its a good idea. The factory harness' arent usually up to the task of supplying the voltage that some of the aftermarket bulbs draw.
          This is also why I usually recommend piaa bulbs to people. They do not draw and more voltage, but have comparable output to the higher wattage bulbs.
          I have seen many melted harnesses from these bulbs.
          Dan.
          2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
          www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Originally posted by ct67_72 View Post
            I didnt look at what bulbs you bought, but when going to a higher wattage its a good idea. The factory harness' arent usually up to the task of supplying the voltage that some of the aftermarket bulbs draw.
            This is also why I usually recommend piaa bulbs to people. They do not draw and more voltage, but have comparable output to the higher wattage bulbs.
            I have seen many melted harnesses from these bulbs.
            55w halogen hella bulb

Comment

Oh, yeah probably not going to do too much than. Not for a 55w bulb.
              I cant tell by the link how the harness is supposed to connect. I would assume it uses the factory 12v to the lights to trigger a relay and pull power direct from the battery. That would be the right way anyway.
              Dan.
              2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Usually the harness piggybacks off the factory wires(one of the factory healight plugs, plugs into the new harness giving it the switch power and then you find your ground and ground it), this didn't come with any directions?.. There pretty easy to do regaurdless.
                Last edited by clean4drxj; 01-29-2013, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ct67_72 View Post
                  Oh, yeah probably not going to do too much than. Not for a 55w bulb.
                  I cant tell by the link how the harness is supposed to connect. I would assume it uses the factory 12v to the lights to trigger a relay and pull power direct from the battery. That would be the right way anyway.
                  I read that 55w are way brighter than stock, like 80-90 are overkill and anything like 90-110w simply just blind the other drivers.

Ill report back if they're brighter or not. They have to be somewhat brighter.

All I need to know is how to aim the new housings.

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                  Usually the harness piggybacks off the factory wires(one of the factory healight plugs, plugs into the new harness giving it the switch power and then you find your ground and ground it), this didn't come with any directions?.. There pretty easy to do regaurdless.
                  It probably did. It will be on my doorstep when I get home and I want some knowledge on it first so I know what I'm doing.

Have the radiator out at the moment so I figured I'd do this swap now because I have a bunch of room in the engine bay.
                  Last edited by Hudson; 01-29-2013, 12:21 PM.
                  Hudson

Comment

Well ah be damn.

Got the radiator, water pump, thermostat housing, thermostat, put new fan clutch on mech fan, installed mech fan, installed electric fan, alll the rest of that bullshit, fill the radiator will coolant, and fire her up.

WAAAAAAAM. Belt is squealing like a pig. Squealed for a second when i first started the jeep before i tore it all apart and then went away in like 10 seconds, but now it's constant. I think it's the power steering pump, but i am not sure. When i turn the steering wheel the squealing gets worse which is why i think this.

Does that pulley have any bearings or anything in it that could go bad or would the actual pump be the culprit?

OH, and the wire harness is installed. Works perfect. Housings will be in either tomorrow or the following day and i'll be able to say whether or not they are brighter.
                    Last edited by Hudson; 01-29-2013, 10:19 PM.
                    Hudson

Comment

When one of the accessories is making noise, you can usually feel more vibration on the offending accessory, or you can use a stethoscope (or my grandfather tought me to just hold a screwdriver or prybar tip on the parts and put my ear up to the other end.) You can usually narrow it down pretty quick that way. If the steering pump is bad, you must replace the whole thing.
                      97 XJ.

Comment

Doesnt have to be the pump. It just puts that more load on an already slipping belt. Like harry said, use a prybar/screwdriver on the accys. and listen for noises. or pull the belt back off and turn all the pullies by hand.
                        Dan.

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Give it a quick shot of Wd40 or PB blaster.. if it quiets down temp style, buy a belt

Comment

Originally posted by hippie metal View Post
                            Give it a quick shot of Wd40 or PB blaster.. if it quiets down temp style, buy a belt
                            Good call too. I chased a belt squeak forever because the belt wasnt that old and looked good. When I finally changed it the squealing stopped
                            Dan.

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Will try all of these when I get home. Spray WD-40 on just the belt?

Is it possible that I tightened the belt too much? I might be crazy but it almost looks like the belt isn't spinning as fast, and kind of sounds bogged down like something is seized up and holding it back.

I should be able to spin all accessories rather easy by hand or should I need a decent amount of force to spin them by hand?
                              Hudson

Comment

Working...
                              X