known ignition problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• known ignition problems?

are there any known ignition problems with a 98 XJ? dads has been acting up really bad every 3-6 months....just dies randomly on the side of the road. dosent normally throw a code either. just happened about 45 minutes ago and i had to go rescue him. nothing seems to make a difference. cranks hard when it runs it runs real strong. definitely getting fuel as you can smell it after it cranks over for a bit. and no problems with lack of air. seems to be just an intermittent loss of spark. coil was replaced not too awful long ago. just curious about what is a common thing to go bad on the late models. im thinking crank sensor but it doesnt make sense because it only does it once in a blue moon. crank sensors when they go bad (from my past expirience) usually act worse and worse until they die. or is this just the beginning of a crank sensor issue?
    -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
    https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
    I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
    -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Try a PCM

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

If i had one i might. seems after some tinkering today if you unplug and replug the ignition coil wire (incoming) not the actual plug wire that goes to the cap....it works fine....maybe a short in that wire...little too dark right now to work on it. tomorrow agenda.
      -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
      -Ian

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjlaredo View Post
        If i had one i might. seems after some tinkering today if you unplug and replug the ignition coil wire (incoming) not the actual plug wire that goes to the cap....it works fine....maybe a short in that wire...little too dark right now to work on it. tomorrow agenda.
        When my CPS started acting up, it did it very intermittently. It took about 3 months for the problem to progress to the point where it would stall out just about every time i went to drive it.

If you have one laying around (or even take the one from your jeep temporarily) toss it in and see if it helps.
        Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

Hmm not a bad idea....hadn't thought of that cause the jeep is parked for a while now. :/
          -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
          -Ian

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjlaredo View Post
            Hmm not a bad idea....hadn't thought of that cause the jeep is parked for a while now. :/
            That should be the easiest way to rule out the CPS. What is wrong with your current Jeep? Is it still randomly stalling as well? Hopefully the CPS on that isn't shot as well.

Oh, and some words of wisdom. The CPS is a fucking nightmare to get out. When you think you can't reach your arm any further, you're about 1/2 way there.

Get about 4 feet of extensions and a swivel socket, and lay with your feet facing the passenger door, and your head under like the middle of the jeep and look straight up. You should see it. Two bolts hold it on.

Goodluck. It took me like 20 minutes to find the CPS. It's hidden rather far up.
            Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
              That should be the easiest way to rule out the CPS. What is wrong with your current Jeep? Is it still randomly stalling as well? Hopefully the CPS on that isn't shot as well.

Oh, and some words of wisdom. The CPS is a fucking nightmare to get out. When you think you can't reach your arm any further, you're about 1/2 way there.

Get about 4 feet of extensions and a swivel socket, and lay with your feet facing the passenger door, and your head under like the middle of the jeep and look straight up. You should see it. Two bolts hold it on.

Goodluck. It took me like 20 minutes to find the CPS. It's hidden rather far up.
              They arent that bad, gotta drop the front driveshaft. It took dizzy prolly 20-30 mins to do my first one and it took me about 45 to do my second one.
              -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

i know right where it sits. and how to get there but yeah i do remember them being a pita....jeeps only parked cause i cant afford to drive it right now. still stalls out like a piece of shit but i think ive completely isolated it now. the distributor itself was loose and the cap was REALLY corroded for some reason.. cleaned it up, tightened it down and now the only thing that seems to affect the way it runs is the temperature sensor. unplug it, runs like a top. plug it back in runs like garbage...however its also parked cause i blew out a transmission line, front pinion seal is gushing, oil pan gasket and rear main are blown, needs a valve cover gasket really bad.....ive got a list of seals that come to almost 100 bucks lol
                -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                -Ian

Comment

Working...
                X