Xj 44 rear ratio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xj 44 rear ratio?

i picked up a xj 44 but the guy had no clue what gears it had and there isnt a tag.. How do i figure out ratio?
    98 xj, 4.0, AW4, 231 AA SYE, 4.5"RE/RC, CA drop brackets, 33s, and some other stuff

you dont
    TeamRedNReckless

98 zj 4" 31's no fenders or doors -Retired-

4x4 Abbreviations

Comment

count all the teeth on the ring gear divide them by the teeth on the pinion gear
      1991 bowl of rice, painted red and black on a pile of nicely stacked scrap metal and 4 35's.

Comment

sounds easy enough
        98 xj, 4.0, AW4, 231 AA SYE, 4.5"RE/RC, CA drop brackets, 33s, and some other stuff

Comment

Here's a way but it's not as accurate as what MReeceW said.

You jack up the entire rear end, put it in neutral and remove the parking brake. Spin the tire one full revolution and count how many times the drive shaft spins around. It's rough, but it works to some degree.

I'd recommend putting a mark on the tire and one on the body of the jeep so you know when you go around one true turn.
          Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
            Here's a way but it's not as accurate as what MReeceW said.

You jack up the entire rear end, put it in neutral and remove the parking brake. Spin the tire one full revolution and count how many times the drive shaft spins around. It's rough, but it works to some degree.

I'd recommend putting a mark on the tire and one on the body of the jeep so you know when you go around one true turn.
            Might also be a good idea to mark the pinion and the dif on the side to know exactly how many times it rotates and also to see how far off the starting point is... i.e. if it rotates 4 times and stops 20 degrees past the mark it would be around a 4.10 and if its 4 and then stops about 190 degrees it would be around a 4.56.
            1991 bowl of rice, painted red and black on a pile of nicely stacked scrap metal and 4 35's.

Comment

im going to try the "count and divide" method first then ill give that a try. does tire size make a difference when trying the "spin method"?

Comment

most were 3.55's fwiw

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                  most were 3.55's fwiw
                  yeah im thinking its 355 but it had 33s on it and was lifted. i completely blanked out looking at the front diff

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtyjeep92 View Post
                    does tire size make a difference when trying the "spin method"?
                    360*
                    2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
                    1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

Working...
                    X