Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3rd gear in my ax-5 done. ax-15 swap in a good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gear in my ax-5 done. ax-15 swap in a good idea?

So i'm driving along and i put in the clutch to put it in 3rd and i hear it grind. when i let go of the clutch and it grinds and it barely goes. all the other gears work.

it's a 98 tj 4cyl with a ax-5.

will i be doing any more damage if i continue to drive it? do i need a new tranny? swap in a ax-15?
    this is all new to me and i've never done any transmission work or anything close to it before

well the ax-15 is way better transmission and it is a bolt together swap but sourcing the parts and I haven't done it yet so I don't know what issues you will run into like drive shaft lengths.

I would check on the T-case the ax-5 might be 21 spline
    ax-15 came both 23 short and 23 long.
    ax-15 also came internal and external clutch slave
    also 2 different styles of pilot bearings.

Also you will need a bellhousing from a s-10 or a dakota something like that cannot remember the jeep ax-15 bell housing will not work.
    you might also need a new clutch I don't know the spline count on the ax-5

You should do some googleing and look for a step by step from someone who has done it.

It will be a projected but can be done but not as easy as just throwing in a new transmission.

Advance adapters might make a kit?
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

will a yj's ax-5 bolt into a tj without doing anything to it?
      what ax-5's are bolt in for a 98 tj?
      Last edited by kev711; 07-10-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

You will need:
        An ax15
        A 6cyl t-case skid
        A 6 cyl np231 t case
        A 6 cyl drive shaft

The tcases have different spline counts from ax5 to ax15 fyi
        "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

I know for a fact that. 98 tj ax5 will bolt into a yj so i assume it would work the other way around
          "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

thanks SO much for the info!! i've been having trouble finding a tj's ax5 for lower than $400 so was thinking about using a yj's
            for some reason yj's ax5's are all over craigs list but no tj's

Comment

Just grab the external slave cylinder one. Forgot what year they changed over

Comment

Working...
              X