ARB Air Lockers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARB Air Lockers?

I probably should of mentioned somewhere in my introduction that i'm quite curious. I should just make a thread named "Hudson's Questions" and post all of my questions in that. Maybe I'll do that so i don't clog up your forum with all of my shenanigans. Who knows, maybe someones likes answering my questions.

Anyways, i found a guy on craigslist selling a Rear D44 and a Front D44 both are locked with ARB Air lockers, and both have 4.88 gearing. He's asking 1500$ for both of them. I think i should just jump on this deal, as a locker alone almost costs 1500$. What are your thoughts on this? The same guy is also going to sell my 4 bushwhackers and a snorkel for 100$.

I'm trying to convince my dad, but he seems to think that it's not worth it. He thinks i don't drive the jeep enough to do this much work to it, but i think otherwise. If i wait on this, i'll end up spending 3x that amount later on to lock it. I guess i'm just looking for reassurance.

Here's some pictures of the axle. Do these look right? He's going to email me better pictures of them tonight.

The only downside is it's a 3 hour drive one way to get these. He's also got some other things that he's selling as well for pretty cheap that i have no need for, if anyone wants any of it on here, i'll pick it up when i'm there.

Front -

Rear -
    Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

the axles would need some work to bolt into an xj, unless theyre already setup that way, which i assume they arent just looking at the rear (guessing it is sprung under, due to it likely being a low pinion)

so if youre ok with some fab work to change perches around and that sort of thing, its not a bad deal at all for dual ARB'd axles. however chances are they have a different bolt pattern than you have now as well for wheels, a different width, so on and so forth

opening a can of worms perhaps...

any more info on the axles?
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
      the axles would need some work to bolt into an xj, unless theyre already setup that way, which i assume they arent just looking at the rear (guessing it is sprung under, due to it likely being a low pinion)

so if youre ok with some fab work to change perches around and that sort of thing, its not a bad deal at all for dual ARB'd axles. however chances are they have a different bolt pattern than you have now as well for wheels, a different width, so on and so forth

opening a can of worms perhaps...

any more info on the axles?
      They should bolt right in.....
      notice the rear is flipped upside down.

Killer deal. Do it
      Originally posted by Ktmracer419
      some people choose video games
      some choose projects
      some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
        They should bolt right in.....
        notice the rear is flipped upside down.

Killer deal. Do it
        missed the drums

is there info about this set I am missing that shows them as bolt in?
        - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

missed the drums

is there info about this set I am missing that shows them as bolt in?
          The pictures pretty much tell the story. Looks set up for coil front. Leaf rear. They are waggy axles. All hints that its setup for an xj.

Ull need 6 lug rims. 200 bux from summit.
          then most likely a trackbar and steering.

No matter how you look at it, thats a sweet deal
          some choose projects

Comment

Here's the word for word texts he put in the ad. Then the pictures he put of the jeep they were on.

Selling Jeep Cherokee classic parts (XJ model) these are not for a wrangle or grand cherokee, Frame down suspension 6in sky jacker rock ready lift all hard ware and adapters needed, Axles, tires, transfer case, fender flares, front and rear after market bumpers and snorkel. The picture is of the jeep I had everything on to give you an idea of what the finished project looks like. The picture of the parts is what I'm selling which all came off the jeep. Keep in mind you are only buying the parts which have been stripped off the jeep. I had this jeep in Alaska do to moving back to NY I stripped the jeep down so I could bring the parts home for another project. That project is never going to happen as I'm to busy. All these parts are in good shape. These parts cost me $6,000+. I'm reasoning with the fact that I will not get what I paid out of them. They will either sit here and rot away or someone else can put them to use for I can't. my loss your gain. Nice project

Skyjacker 6inch Rock ready lift
            5 37inch super swamper TSL that's 4 tires with a spare. 75% tread left
            Steering linkage
            Front Axle dana 44 with 4:88 gears and ARB air locker
            Rear Axle dana 44 with 4:88 gears and ARB air locker
            Front bumper Not the bumper in the picture but still after market
            Rear custom bumper with spare swing out mount
            Fender Flares
            Snorkle
            This is a Complete set up the only thing I do not have is the Air compressor and toggle switches for Air lockers. That cost around 100-150$ last I checked. 3800$ Neg

I honestly don't know much about this kind of thing, so i'm kind of going off your word(s). Should i ask the guy any particular questions or anything to be more certain?

He also has a pair of "5 37inch super swamper TSL that's 4 tires with a spare." I think 37's are too big for DDing, but should i take them for like 400$ just for when i go offroading?

Yeah, as for steering, i already have the Currie HD that i would just swap on, and i have an IRO Double Shear Trackbar.
            Last edited by Hudson; 06-13-2012, 05:44 PM.
            Hudson

Comment

It looks like a good deal only.. I wouldn't go for the tires, I have no love for superswampers at all, they give a lousey ride and the list goes on..

Comment

definitely a great deal to go ahead on no doubt about that. i agree, swampers aren't ideal i'd get something more mild if you're DDing like the classic km2/mtr type tire. width of the axles is obviously good being off an xj already, and any bracket changes you need to make is pretty easy just buy em from ruffstuff, fab up, and weld on! if you need any bracket help like that i've done alot of that stuff.
                Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Comment

Dude thats a killer deal. I sold my old dana 44 with a detroit for $900 all by itself, so thats totally worth it.
                  No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                  Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

the fact it came out of an xj makes it a no brainer
                    - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                      It looks like a good deal only.. I wouldn't go for the tires, I have no love for superswampers at all, they give a lousey ride and the list goes on..
                      Thanks for pointing that out. I won't get them.

Originally posted by konastinky1234 View Post
                      definitely a great deal to go ahead on no doubt about that. i agree, swampers aren't ideal i'd get something more mild if you're DDing like the classic km2/mtr type tire. width of the axles is obviously good being off an xj already, and any bracket changes you need to make is pretty easy just buy em from ruffstuff, fab up, and weld on! if you need any bracket help like that i've done alot of that stuff.
                      Thanks for that as well, i think all of the brackets are already on there, but time will tell.

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                      Dude thats a killer deal. I sold my old dana 44 with a detroit for $900 all by itself, so thats totally worth it.
                      Thanks for the reassurance. It sounds as even if i don't want to use them i can turn a profit on them. Not that i would, but the fact that i could makes it rest easier in my brain.

the fact it came out of an xj makes it a no brainer
                      That was my initial thoughts, but then again, not knowing a fair share about this kind of thing gave me second thoughts.

I just went ahead and talked to the guy again and hes holding them for me. It's also an 8 lug not a 6. I was getting worried there as i have crager soft 8's currently.

Does anyone know if ZJ disc brakes are compatible with a D44? I swapped disc brakes from a 95 ZJ onto my 8.25 about a month ago. Should it be a direct swap onto a 44 or should i need to file down the backing plate some more?

That is a D44 correct? I've never seen one in real life.
                      Hudson

Comment

Ummmm. wait what?
                        its 8 lug?

Im not sure if ur confused by your response. 8lug is not the same a soft 8
                        i could be completely wrong but that rear looks like a waggy rear which im guessing the front is a waggy. I mean the dude might have put ford dana44 hd outers on it and got custom shafts for the rear. But i highhhhhhly doubt it.

Im sticking with my gut feeling and saying its 6 lug.
                        some choose projects

Comment

what size tires do you run?

you may be opening a can of worms over this

dont let the 2 ARBs dictate your entire build
                          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

If you get the setup from a ZJ aluminum-diff D44, the brakes should bolt right on.
                            2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                            MK2 Jetta > M3
                            Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

8 lug or 6 lug, doesn't matter if you're going to buy new wheels. You can get 15" wheels with both lug patterns.

You can use the bigger GM calipers with weld on brackets for a disc brake conversion. Shit will stop on a dime.
                              No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Working...
                              X