Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cracked 4.0 exhaust manifold replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked 4.0 exhaust manifold replacement?

The exhaust manifold on my 1995 wrangler 4.0 is cracked. Been cracked for a while but the crack is getting larger, it's really loud and leaking badly. Has anyone had this problem? I was thinking I would just try to weld it up but was worried it might crack again... I see the aftermarket ones have expansion joints to remedy cracking. Anyone have luck repairing or should I replace... What brand replacement?
    1950 Willys Trail Rig
    2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Same thing happen to my tj (1997) cracked right on the manifold, replaced it with a banks header and never looked back. Install was a pita becuase the lower bolts are tough to get to.

Comment

I have welded them but its hard to get into the v of collector. And they crack at almost every joint. For the price of a new one off of eBay or even a banks I would replace it. I have one that i have welded that your welcome to if you want to see if you can fix it.

Comment

Owen I have that stock one thats been repaired if you need it, part of the reason they crack is motor mounts and obviously the way they're built.

Comment

seen more cracked than not cracked.
          I just booger weld it up until it is quieter and just leave it.
          It is hard to get in there.
          I welded one out of the car it just cracked a year later.

If it really bothers you just buy a new one. but you have to pull the intake and pull it out the top just doesn't fit out the bottom.

good luck
          RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
          www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
          Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

i just installed banks torquetubes on my 4banger. smaller and different but same idea and yes it was a bitch to install but definitely worth it now.
            Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Comment

i replaced my Tj's header with one of the ebay ones with the expansion joints. straight forward install although i bought a quality gasket instead of using the one that came with the header. as far as the bolts undernearth, long extension and flex socket adapter worked great
              up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
              eliminator MJ - Sold
              99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
              Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

i had one of the expansion tubes blow out way worse than ive ever had one crack.

i needed to fix it ASAP, and i had a cracked one lying around. welded up the crack and ive put maybe 40k miles on it since. and some of the miles were with a bad coil that caused the jeep to run lean and made the header turn bright orange. header is still mint.
                www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

i have a brandy new one i think...make me an offer ill see what i can do...ill be very reasonable
                  1998 Jetta GLX VR6 Raceland Optimo coilovers, c2 chip, CAI, straightpipe to magnaflow muffler, e-codes, billet alum. crackpipe. 42 draft designs SAI blockoff.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies. Still don't know what I am going to do, might pull it out and see if I can weld it up. Any recommendations on what to use/not use for gaskets?
                    1950 Willys Trail Rig
                    2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Felpro

Comment

I am having similar problems with the XJ.

Minimal research showed a lot of people go to APN exhaust manifolds to fix this, which I attempted. It turns out they are having quality issues but wouldn't go into much more of an explanation than that.

Does anyone have luck with another manifold or header? On the cheap side preferably.

I can't even see where it is cracked using mirrors, feel, taking parts off to get in there; the sound is just terrible and getting worse.

Comment

holy old thread, ive used the ebay ones in the past. are you sure its cracked or could the connection where the header meets the rest of the exhaust have a blown out gasket or rotted away flange ?. you could also weld up the cracked one if you know someone with a welder..
                          up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                          eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

Yea, not to sure yet. Good call though. It is very hard to tell with the intake covering most of the manifold. Is there a tool to sniff out leaks?

I am pulling it apart next week to investigate.

Comment

one way is to start engine, and run your hand over exhaust area, leaks will have hot gases coming out obviously. another would be smoke machine hooked up to end of exhaust. as smoke fills the exhaust it will leak out of any holes/cracks making them easier to see. both these options are much easier with a lift/shop....
                              eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X