Junk yard treasure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junk yard treasure

When looking at axels in a junk yard are there any do or donts when making a selection. What differentiates a good axel from a bad axel?
    Don't Panic

personally id say your best bet is to pull the cover and inspect everything...you want to know what you're getting yourself into...
    1998 Jetta GLX VR6 Raceland Optimo coilovers, c2 chip, CAI, straightpipe to magnaflow muffler, e-codes, billet alum. crackpipe. 42 draft designs SAI blockoff.

Comment

Really depends on what you plan on doing. Are you looking to re-gear? In that case just look for an axle with good shafts. Keep the stock brakes? Then look for one where at least all the parts were there.

When I got a new rear 44 I knew I wanted to regear, lock, and run disc brakes so I searched for an axle with shafts. Nothing else mattered to me at that point and found one with no brakes so I used that as a bargaining chip even though I didn't want them.

So whats your plans here?
      I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

sometime in the near distant future, maybe a winter project, upgrade to the 8.8. I would want the 4.10's, disks, and if posible the lsd. I have 3.55's now and during the seacrch for the 8.8 try and find a hp30 with 4.10's to bolt in.
        Don't Panic

Comment

I have lp 4.10 d30 gears if you want them
          Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

axle*
            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
              axle*
              Come on. Don't be a Will Gentile

Comment

Axle, my apologies
                Don't Panic

Comment

Theres alot of things to think about, what size tire do you wanna run(think ahead).
                  Most people go with the hp30 4.10s/8.8 w/discs 4.10's because it doesn't require tearing into the axle and re-gearing in most cases. Good luck with your searches

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                    Come on. Don't be a Will Gentile
                    As long as i'm not a Jon ****, i'm good.
                    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                      As long as i'm not a Jon ****, i'm good.
                      Clever.

Comment

4.10 HP30s are hard to come by. Keep an eye out, but as the time gets closer, you might end up having to get a HP housing cheaply and gearing it to 4.10. My roommate is going through this exact same thing with his TJ. Just finished welding the brackets on his 4.10 8.8.

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                        Theres alot of things to think about, what size tire do you wanna run(think ahead).
                        This is good advice too. How big do you plan to go?
                        97 XJ.

Comment

Working...
                        X