Steering/Swaying question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering/Swaying question

I've been tracking down a way to fix my bumpsteer problem and i decided to start with a drop pitman arm since im running around 5.5ish inches of lift. Put the drop pitman arm on, and now the amount of sway the jeep has is ridiculous. It swayed a bit before but i could control it enough to drive on the highway.....now i can't even go over 40mph without almost playing bumper cars with the other lane.

I noticed last year that my drivers side shock was leaking something which is probably the shock fluid being there basic Rancho shocks. Im probably going to unbolt one and see if i have resistance in the shock.

Could this have anything to do with coils? my front pass side coil was bent and i rotated it and droped the jeep back on it and it sits straight now, but i was thinking i should replace them anyways being i don't know anything about what brand or anything they are.

Could this be because i only have one upper in? if it comes down to it, im going to have to buy two new uppers because i don't wanna have to fab up another one and have two diff uppers. Also noticed just before i parked the jeep that my steering wheel wasn't straight when the tires were so i adjusted the sleeve on the draglink.

Pic of my steering angles. White is the drag-link. Red is the trackbar

God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Originally posted by LittleD View Post
    Could this be because i only have one upper in?
    you only have one upper in?
    1998 Jetta GLX VR6 Raceland Optimo coilovers, c2 chip, CAI, straightpipe to magnaflow muffler, e-codes, billet alum. crackpipe. 42 draft designs SAI blockoff.

Comment

Originally posted by tjramplebump View Post
      you only have one upper in?
      Yes, it's pretty much the same thing as clayton's old setup as i've been told

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

whats your setup as far as control arms?

short arms with only one upper arm?

long arms with one upper?

3 link?

y link?

which side is the one upper on?

did you put a hardjoint on at least one side of the upper arm?

Comment

Radius arm style long arms. Cross member to lower control arm mount on the axle. Jhonny joints on the xmember mount, Rubber bushing on the axle end of the lower, RE Adjustable Upper contol arm with the superflex joint (rebuilt before installation) on the mount that connects the upper to the lower. Upper control arm is on the pass side.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Dude.....every sentence I read just gets worse and worse
            I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Look if it was better without the drop pitman arm - remove it.

You're running a radius arm on one side and a straight link on the other? This is just....no....you can't do this. Is this the side with the bent coil too? How about the busted shock? If so....thats why everything is bent / broken. I have a blown front shock but my Jeep tracks, drives, goes 85mph, PERFECTLY because I'm not running a semi radius bent coil set up. Stop hacking shit together, I can't believe you were driving without a top link for that long. Forget the track bar. You have other shit to fix first.

Comment

Look if it was better without the drop pitman arm - remove it.

You're running a radius arm on one side and a straight link on the other? This is just....no....you can't do this. Is this the side with the bent coil too? How about the busted shock? If so....thats why everything is bent / broken. I have a blown front shock but my Jeep tracks, drives, goes 85mph, PERFECTLY because I'm not running a semi radius bent coil set up. Stop hacking shit together, I can't believe you were driving without a top link for that long. Forget the track bar. You have other shit to fix first.

Comment

Hacking shit together? Really? The bent coil was from previous abuse from my brother and the last owner having 6inches of lift on short arms that were meant for 4.5 inches of lift at max. The upper is on the pass side along with the bent coil, and from what i've been told by numerous people, this is extremely similar to claytons old setup (zullo if you could verify if this is true or not would be great).

If this was a bad setup something bad would've happened by now, and considering i hit a curb dead on doing 40 mph avoiding a crash, and didn't break a single thing, i think this is fine
                  Last edited by LittleD; 04-22-2012, 10:20 PM.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

this is extremely similar to claytons old setup (zullo if you could verify if this is true or not would be great).
                    zullos too much of a newb to be around for that one

<3 you zullo
                    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                    Originally posted by DizzDizz
                    aliens probed my husband

Comment

Hacking shit together? Really? The bent coil was from previous abuse from my brother and the last owner having 6inches of lift on short arms that were meant for 4.5 inches of lift at max. The upper is on the pass side along with the bent coil, and from what i've been told by numerous people, this is extremely similar to claytons old setup (zullo if you could verify if this is true or not would be great).
                      So the fact your brother bent the coil justifies the fact that its okay? I'm pretty sure like 8 months ago numerous people told you to put in the other link. I know this isn't the first time I'm hearing someone say it to you.

If it was better before the pitman arm was put on why don't you remove it?

What do you mean Claytons old set up? He sold a half radius arm set up at one point?

Comment

Without the pitman arm = no control on the steering wheel when on brakes and hitting a bump/ruff terrain.

Notice i made this thread asking a question which just so happens to include "Could this be because i only have one upper in? if it comes down to it, im going to have to buy two new uppers because i don't wanna have to fab up another one and have two diff uppers"

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

okay.

step 1: PUT A FUCKING ARM ON THE OTHER ARM!!!!! im guessing your still running that stupid tiny fucking bolt on the upper bushing. i can assure you that bushing is hating life and if you only have 3 links all attached to rubber , there is going to allow some movement.

step 2: get rid of the drop pitman arm. obviously didnt help, and idk why you would have wasted money on one.

step 3: get your trackbar and draglink equal lengths, and parallel.

step 4: dont blame your swaying on other shit..... your alignment is most likely wack.

your welcome.

dont be a hack
                          Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                          some people choose video games
                          some choose projects
                          some choose welding random things together

Comment

obviously its because you only have one upper...ITS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE. when gradys lower broke off this weekend he didnt say "oh ill run it" he went and fixed that shit. so. go ficks that shit
                            1998 Jetta GLX VR6 Raceland Optimo coilovers, c2 chip, CAI, straightpipe to magnaflow muffler, e-codes, billet alum. crackpipe. 42 draft designs SAI blockoff.

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
                              okay.

step 1: PUT A FUCKING ARM ON THE OTHER ARM!!!!! im guessing your still running that stupid tiny fucking bolt on the upper bushing. i can assure you that bushing is hating life and if you only have 3 links all attached to rubber , there is going to allow some movement.

step 2: get rid of the drop pitman arm. obviously didnt help, and idk why you would have wasted money on one.

step 3: get your trackbar and draglink equal lengths, and parallel.

step 4: dont blame your swaying on other shit..... your alignment is most likely wack.

your welcome.

dont be a hack
                              Alignment done when i got the new tires last fall.

Got the drop pitman arm to make my steering more parallel

Not trying to blame it on other shit, just trying find a starting point and all possible issues

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Working...
                              X