Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what would your xj build be if starting over ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would your xj build be if starting over ?

The purpose of this thread is to see if you were to start fresh on a new xj, what parts would you do first and in general based on the following :

smaller budget -
    33" max tire size , 4.5" max lift which must include rear leafs, ride real nice ( what shocks etc.)

would you go with an off the shelf lift again or piece one together ?
    rocker protection ?
    clocking t-case ?
    skids ?
    springs ?
    shock hoops ?

discuss. I am very knowledgeable with Wranglers but this being my first XJ id like to hear all your stories/advice/etc on what parts/mod's you liked and some you didn't like and would do again
    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
    eliminator MJ - Sold
    99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
    Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

33 4.5 inch longarm kit(belly/tcase skid), bilstein's 4.56's rear locker and some diff armor and recovery points front and rear.
    Boxed rockers since he factory rots anyway.
    sye on the Tcase and maybe some internal upgrades
    rear shock hoops because thats the only way to fit a decent travel shock on the rear without having mounts that hang down like ankors.

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
      33 4.5 inch longarm kit(belly/tcase skid), bilstein's 4.56's rear locker and some diff armor and recovery points front and rear.
      Boxed rockers since he factory rots anyway.
      sye on the Tcase and maybe some internal upgrades
      rear shock hoops because thats the only way to fit a decent travel shock on the rear without having mounts that hang down like ankors.
      i would type my response but it would say the same thing.....
      -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
      -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
      -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
      -57 GMC Pickup
      -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

How small is the budget we talking here?
        I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Dentless.
          sigpic
          Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
            How small is the budget we talking here?
            about $5,000 max
            up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
            eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

High pinion 30
              D44
              Lunchbox lockers in both.
              6.5" main leaf with 4.5" pack (6.5" is longer so it will push the shackle back)
              4.5 coils
              1" shackle.
              Dom steering
              Dom trackbar
              Zj discs in rear
              3 link front
              Plenty of skids
              Box rockers
              Bump stops

If I was limited to 33's.
              If not 4.88 and 35's and the same for everything else.

If I had a 5k budget and starting again with no tire limit I would go tons first. No messing around.
              Dan.
              2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
              www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

i did this already after parting out my old one. decided to go smaller for streetability.

3.5" RE superflex
                33's
                aussie's front and rear
                4.88's
                JCR skids tcase, gas tank, sliders and bumpers (or AJ's)
                WJ front brakes with ruffstuff steering
                zj rear brakes
                bilstein 5150's 8" travel
                SYE with xj front shafts f+r

to be honest mine still drives like shit on the road. if i were to do it again i wouldn't build another XJ.
                I drive a Datsun

Comment

@ 4.5 inches with longarms a decent set of shocks mine rides well considering it's lifted truck/SUV.

Comment

Currie9's, longarms, 4.5 of lift, 37" krawlers, and some armor.

OBV, that's without a crazy tight budget.
                    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

That's funny because I think mine rides great, even better when it had a sway bar.
                      Dan.
                      2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
                      www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

how is the 8.25 rear axle strength wise ? obviously not stomp on the gas till you make it over axle, but hold up well for occasional trails ?

alex, how is winter driving with aussie's ? my girlfriend will drive this jeep in the winter so questionable about that. (axle locking up and then sliding). ps white honda still living

so far mixed opinion on how they ride with lifts, keep the opinions coming. I had good luck with my TJ with 4" of lift and the highline it road much better then a stock one, even on turns etc.
                        eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

35's, 4.56's, and 4.5" of lift with longarms and mine drove amazing on the highway.

I could cruise at 75, with no worries. Mine rode better than stock.
                          No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

The only problem/s with having 35's on a Dana30 is 1. you can't lock it without exploding something 2.balljoints and unit bearings aren't as reliable 3. braking sucks so it you have the money +time then go for 35's but if you dont have have a whole lot of cash+time and want to keep the vehicle reliable on both the trails and road stay with 33's.
                            8.25's are bad and tend to not break with 35's unless you beat it like a rented mule, however the stock brakes suck worse than 44. You can also go a cheaper route... 4cyl hpd30 and 8.25 with 410s or 8.8 with 4.10's w/disc and keep it on 33x10.50's with a 4.5 inch lift. I always keep in my head that I dont want my XJ to be just a deidcated wheeler because it has other purposes ( i have a child) and i know you're in the same situation..
                            Last edited by clean4drxj; 04-09-2012, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                              The only problem/s with having 35's on a Dana30 is 1. you can't lock it without exploding something 2.balljoints and unit bearings aren't as reliable 3. braking sucks so it you have the money +time then go for 35's but if you dont have have a whole lot of cash+time and want to keep the vehicle reliable on both the trails and road stay with 33's.
                              I never had a problem with braking. Once I upgraded my rear 44 to disc the thing stops really quick. For what its worth, I have yet to brake anything on 35s now and gone through 2 u-joints on 33's. Its just how you wheel it man.
                              I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Working...
                              X