Transmission problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission problems?

So I have one last real problem to work out with my Jeep before I can call it basically 100% mechanically. It rattles like a bitch in 5th gear, from 1k to 2k rpm under load, and under heavy load in 3rd at about 1,500 rpm. It rattles even worse when I dip the clutch above 20 mph. It sounds like lots of tiny steel balls in the transmission rattling around in some gears. It has been doing this for over two years so I ignored it as it was mainly only on the highway and until recently this rig was not highway drive-able. Now it has the ability to be a DD but it the noise is just awful and something is probably going to break at some point. I've replaced the clutch, throw-out bearing, and pressure plate. I'm pretty sure the T-case is good, though that would be the preferred thing to be broken. It does this in 4 hi and 4 low and does the exact same thing in 4 hi, 4 low, 2 high, but not neutral on the t-case last time I checked.

I am thinking it is a transmission so I am looking to replace my AX-15 from 93. Is there anything I need to look for in a transmission that will drop right in, in terms of spline count, length, and they years with the right ones.
    Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
    93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
    Eric

it could be something to do with the tcase, or a throughout bearing, make sure you'r case has a tight chain and all, how many miles are on it? Also the AX15 wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Comment

Engine and transmission has about 310,000 miles, the clutch, throw-out bearing and all have about 75 miles on them. The T-case has about 65,000 on it. I've shoved a long screw driver into the case and pushed on the chain, it seemed to be tight but I don't know. I'm just really confused about why it does it when it is in 4 hi and 4 lo equally depending exactly on transmission load and speed.
      Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
      93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
      Eric

Comment

I've also had a problem in the past with my 5speed in my s10 I had years ago. Turned out to be the pilot shaft bearings, it made a growing sound at certain times and then it became all the time. so sounds like your tranny is the colprit.

Comment

Trans has 310k?

Id sat its time for rebuild
          dirty30

Comment

Working...
          X