Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rot, rust, and general bullshit of the like.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rot, rust, and general bullshit of the like.

2 main questions on the subject. First one may be stupid but as for replacing critical metal, can it be done and how easily? I've seen sections of frames replaced and I have replaced body/floor metal but what about uni-body/mount metal? My Jeep is now driving like shit and it is due to rot and rust on the rear shackle mounts to the uni-rails. I am wondering if I can cut out the rusted metal and weld in some new steel. If I can what gauge would you use and what tips would you have for welding in new steel?

2nd question, what do you guys use for easy spray-able rust prevention, primarily for under-body protection on weld seams?

Any help would be great. I am really trying to avoid buying a new body but right now due to the flex of so little metal in the rear the Jeep is not drive-able above 40mph, I do have a truck and trailer but I want this as good as it can be, plus metal is cheap as shit and filler wire isn't expensive and I have the ability to do it so why not fix instead of give up.
    Last edited by WickedXJ; 01-18-2012, 12:55 AM.
    Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
    93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
    Eric

I believe they make the whole resection of the floor which you can buy for that
    and I would use a good industrial paint with a hardner in it and probabley brush it on(so it's think) and go over that with good undercoating.
    Rust is the devil!

Comment

You can replace it. No problem. I would use por15 when done. To get inside the areas you can't paint, I have always likes waxoil. Google it.
      If I was to do.that rear area I would cut it all out and plate the rail with 1/8. Plenty strong and light, then build new spring box out of 1/8 or 1/4. You can build it forward at that point too and fix your shackle angle.
      Dan.
      2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
      www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

I might use Devoe "industrial" paint they sell it at Ringsend lumber over in waterford/new london area.

Comment

I undercoat the smog out of mine with spray rubber undercoat. Just prep it right and spray away
          I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

All can be solved with fire.
            sigpic
            Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
              All can be solved with fire.
              been there, done that. The rust just comes back.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get to it this summer but I will probably replace the rusty metal on the back with some 3/16th, maybe 1/8th depending on how much burn-though I get using 3/16th, and put some frame stiffeners just to add to it. Then go pick up some of that stuff from ring's end, love that place by the way, and coat the shit out of everything. Hopefully that will make it drive-able again but if not a new body will be in order. The only issue with a new body would be not compatible parts. Other than the engine wiring is there anything major that I can't take off of a 93 and put on a 99 or an 01?
              Last edited by WickedXJ; 01-18-2012, 03:44 PM.
              Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
              93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
              Eric

Comment

Devoe is awsome stuff! A guy I know uses it on welldrilling rings and they've gotten hydrolic fluid on it and clean it with brake clean and that doesn't even affect it in the least bit. Btw you might need to get the cataylist& hardner as well and just mix it and apply with a foam brush so it goes on nice n think. However make sure your surface is prepped and cleaned well or nothing will stick.
                Your axles, suspenion and bumpers will bolt onto a newer XJ no problem.

Comment

Working...
                X