X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Tech Info Stat

Heres what Im dealing with:

The Bad: Lost Piston #6

The Good: The cylinder walls are miraculously unharmed.

More Bad: I have not a lot of time to fix this, and until I do, I'm out of a vehicle, which is no bueno.

More Good: I do have the cash to throw at gaskets and shit.

The Pressing Bad News: I really dont have the time to pull the head to attack this thing properly.

The Question: Is it at all possible, however annoying, to replace a piston from the lower end. I know that the issue is that of compressing the piston rings, but has anyone ever done this successfully?

I do know that I should really go through the motor and do this the right way, and I do plan to a little ways down the road, but for right now I just need a band-aid more than anything.

So how about it ladies and ladies? do we think this is possible to do without pulling the head? lets hear it.

Thanks in advance.
    "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
    It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

So you are willing to pull the tranny, crank, oil pump, timing components but not the head? not likely man. Pull the head and push that slug out the top.

Comment

Originally posted by CSaddict View Post
      So you are willing to pull the tranny, crank, oil pump, timing components but not the head? not likely man. Pull the head and push that slug out the top.
      This. You have to pull a hell of a lot more to do it from the bottom end than you would to just pull the head.
      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
      MK2 Jetta > M3
      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Good point. Just curious. already decided to go from the top. sorry for the dumb question, but Im a little stressed by the situation. Heres one tho, is there any markings on the motor or piston to tell me what size piston to get? Napa has like 40 for a 97 TJ. I'm gonna pull and measure, but just curious if it'll be marked.
        "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...

Comment

If the motor is stock then there is nothing to figure out. If its bored over then you have to mic it or look under the skirt if anywhere I would think.

Comment

There should be markings. I think Andrew ran into this with his motor. There's a few different sizes Jeep used, it's real weird.
            2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
            MK2 Jetta > M3
            Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by SwampAss View Post
              There should be markings. I think Andrew ran into this with his motor. There's a few different sizes Jeep used, it's real weird.
              Yeah I remember Andrew talking about that how the cylinders and pistons are all measured and then given the letter A-F or something...
              sigpic
              Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed View Post
                Good point. Just curious. already decided to go from the top. sorry for the dumb question, but Im a little stressed by the situation. Heres one tho, is there any markings on the motor or piston to tell me what size piston to get? Napa has like 40 for a 97 TJ. I'm gonna pull and measure, but just curious if it'll be marked.
                post up where you find the markings for piston size. might be something handy for me to kno for down the road!
                -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
                -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
                -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
                -57 GMC Pickup
                -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Measured it out, turns out with wear, my piston falls dead middle between the metric and standard sizes that are offered. After talking to a trusted friend, I went with the metric replacement. Lets hope hes not full of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by CSaddict View Post
                    This. Just in case you need visual evidence this is what you would be looking at with it in the rig with the pan off, basically only the crank needs to come out but to do that you need to pull so much more shit.
                    Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
                    93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
                    Eric

Comment

Oh, I was well into the top end about ten min. after the OP.

I was just curious if there was a way to somehow finagle the piston up over the crank or something. I donno, I was in a rush and feeling stupid. haha. now to get back to it.

Comment

Originally posted by WickedXJ View Post
                        This. Just in case you need visual evidence this is what you would be looking at with it in the rig with the pan off, basically only the crank needs to come out but to do that you need to pull so much more shit.
                        not to thread jack but im bout to do my oil pan. is this your image or a googled one?
                        -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
                        -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
                        -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
                        -57 GMC Pickup
                        -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by CntStpTheStnk06 View Post
                          not to thread jack but im bout to do my oil pan. is this your image or a googled one?
                          That's my pic. I did a bit of an overhaul on my 93 4.0 with 300k miles, runs A LOT better now, just figured i'd help by providing easy visuals for why you can't do what the OP wanted to nothing against the idea it would just suck.
                          Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
                          93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
                          Eric

Comment

Working...
                          X