Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you feel your long arms are worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you feel your long arms are worth it?

I got another XJ and am considering suspension. I can make all the parts myself so there really is not an issue of cost per say. It will be a 4.5" lift either way.

Question is: Do you really feel your long arm upgrade performs that much better than a short arm set up? Really think about it. Was there ever a time you made it up something and you attributed to your long arms? Really? I think with my old truck it would have been just as capable with short arms. Maybe not as smooth on the highway but I dont drive it anywhere but to wheel it.

I only plan on going to a 33" tire like my red truck.

I also considered leaf spring front but its not worth doing unless I swap axles. I actually prefer the simplicity of the leaf spring.

Any input is appreciated.

the flatter arm angle in theory allows the axle to articulate with more ease.

simply put it takes relatively less force to get the front tires to climb a larger obsticle.

A locker will allieviate that though, trying to get the one of the front tires to climb something really steep with short arms and an open diff was sometimes a pain in the ass

I ran short arms with 10" travel shocks on 3" of lift and the only thing limiting my travel were the shocks. I ran long arms with the same shocks, so technically i had those same 10" of travel.

The big difference... as you mentioned was streetability and ride quality.

I made some nice adjustable short arms with johnny joints myself for literally the cost of joints and some bargain barn steel. i think after all it was around $200 for all 4.
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Well, as one for not having long arms, you might not crawl up those rocks any better but holy fuck, at 4.5" of lift, your jeep will definitely ride smoother with longarms. The jolting from the short arms are eliminated when you move them back past the stock location. I'd get longarms in a heartbeat if I had enough lift just because of the ride itself. Traveling offroad at more than 10 mph with 30 psi in your tires on shortarms rattles your teeth so much it hurt, literally, while on longarms your front tires could be made of stone and it wouldn't matter.

Also, if you hate unibodies and want leafs up front...why the hell didn't you just buy a 4.0 YJ?
      sigpic
      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
        Well, as one for not having long arms, you might not crawl up those rocks any better but holy fuck, at 4.5" of lift, your jeep will definitely ride smoother with longarms. The jolting from the short arms are eliminated when you move them back past the stock location. I'd get longarms in a heartbeat if I had enough lift just because of the ride itself. Traveling offroad at more than 10 mph with 30 psi in your tires on shortarms rattles your teeth so much it hurt, literally, while on longarms your front tires could be made of stone and it wouldn't matter.

Also, if you hate unibodies and want leafs up front...why the hell didn't you just buy a 4.0 YJ?
        I would have in a heartbeat. One wasn't available for trade at the time.

Comment

So at 3.5" you feel you don't have a need for them and you are content with your rig right Phil?

Comment

simple answer for a simple question, this is a breath of freash air actually

my red xj with 4.5" rode fine on the road albeit a little rough. i put long arms on it and the transition was night and day. it really felt so much smoother than i even imagined. i'd say for yourself and the familys backs, do it

as far as wheeling it, 4.5" i'd have longarms. 3.5" i'm sticking with shortarms. anything taller and it doesn't seem to put a tire down as well
            Last edited by Burton58; 01-02-2012, 11:12 AM.
            I drive a Datsun

Comment

Just wondering what people thought. I always wondered if it really made a difference in real world situations. I figured everything I went up with the long arms I certainly would have made on short arms. The cost of the parts is in the same ball park either way.

Comment

short arms inherently pull the axle back on droop, away from what youre climbing

long arms have a flatter "arc"

rides better

over-simply said: there are no real downsides to long arms.
                there are downsides to short arms.

i dont get the point of the leaf swap, sure its more simple, but a jeep radius arm setup isnt exactly a nasa space module either

youll make the right decision
                - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                Originally posted by DizzDizz
                aliens probed my husband

Comment

I've got your old setup Dave and I certainly notice a difference in offload comfort and performance.

Ps what joints did you use? They're in need of some servicing at this point.
                  dirty30

Comment

IMO it's worth it all day for the ride alone.. The costs for short arms and drop brackets are close to the cost of a longarm upgrade these days so why not go for the better ride?

Comment

Originally posted by CSaddict View Post
                      So at 3.5" you feel you don't have a need for them and you are content with your rig right Phil?
                      I'm content with my rig as it sits, I can't fit long arms because I'd need to go higher in lift and I legit just don't want to do it. If Longarms could fit on 3" of lift, I'd have them,
                      sigpic
                      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

how would longarms not fit on 3" of lift?

Comment

phils jeep has 33's and short arms and it went everywhere my jeep with 35's and longarms went.

performance wise, the differences are minimal.

I think a front locker and 33's is a bigger advantage than an open diff and 35's though. (i refused to lock with 35's)
                          No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                            phils jeep has 33's and short arms and it went everywhere my jeep with 35's and longarms went.

performance wise, the differences are minimal.

I think a front locker and 33's is a bigger advantage than an open diff and 35's though. (i refused to lock with 35's)
                            some people know throttle control and can run 35s locked on an lp30. some people can't

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
                              I've got your old setup Dave and I certainly notice a difference in offload comfort and performance.

Ps what joints did you use? They're in need of some servicing at this point.
                              Currie Johnny Joints.

Comment

Working...
                              X