Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you feel your long arms are worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My buddy is buying an XJ this week and wants it long armed. I may as well just make 2 of them I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
      how would longarms not fit on 3" of lift?
      Will the TNT kit work with 3" of lift? I was under the impression it wouldn't as well as the Clayton kit.
      sigpic
      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

my .02$
        I think that I could make a lot of what I do with short arms, but there are a lot of times I would be hanging a tire int he air, and I truely believe that having the tire on the ground, even without vehicle weight on it is beneficial to traction.
        We climb a lot of steep climbs where you have to get one tire on at a time, with short arms it wants to lift a rear tire instead of dropping a front.
        This was actually a problem quite a bit. instead of the ire dropping the whole corner of the jeep would go down and lift a rear tire.
        There are many many times Im glad to have longarms, and never a time I wish I didnt.
        Phil, Im just around 4" of lift and I have 4-5" of uptravel. and its only because the tire gets into the inner fender. cant see why you couldnt have longarms on 3" lift. they just have to clear the frame so Im sure it will depend on the brand.
        Dan.
        2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
        www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
          Will the TNT kit work with 3" of lift? I was under the impression it wouldn't as well as the Clayton kit.

phil you should try it out....... i would be interested to know if this works .......
          -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
          -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
          -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
          -57 GMC Pickup
          -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
            i ran clayton arms with 3" of lift, they worked, but because they were not a high clearance arm i used to get hung up on things that required a pretty good breakover height. I could fully compress the shocks though without the arm contacting anything, clearance wise.

The TNT arms might be better for lower lift height because of their design, but thats the thing, because they are tucked up under the truck so tight idk if you'd be able to get the uptravel out of them until they hit the floor.
            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

There isn't any reason they wouldn't work at 3".

Comment

Zullo keep in mind I kno nothing about LA except how ba they are ( not true but I don't know alot about them). But just to think outloud if you were running a 3 inch lift with 33 or 35 inch tires , wouldn't a ton of up travel be unnecessary because the tire would already be tucked? Like I see what your saying about the arms hitting the floor but even trimmed alot I would think that a 35 might limit the suspensions flex befor the arms topped out?
                -57 GMC Pickup
                -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by CntStpTheStnk06 View Post
                  Zullo keep in mind I kno nothing about LA except how ba they are ( not true but I don't know alot about them). But just to think outloud if you were running a 3 inch lift with 33 or 35 inch tires , wouldn't a ton of up travel be unnecessary because the tire would already be tucked? Like I see what your saying about the arms hitting the floor but even trimmed alot I would think that a 35 might limit the suspensions flex befor the arms topped out?
                  i had 33's with short arms and about 4" of uptravel on the shocks, i put the 35's on with the long arms and that doesn't change one bit.

I trimmed the fenders more to be able to completely compress the shocks with the 35's. Uptravel would be the only concern with low lift height and longarms, seeing as the downtravel with longarms is really only limited by shock length
                  No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                  Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Uptravel is going to be limited at the bumpstops in a properly designed suspension, possibly the shocks or when the tire contacts the fender in a redneck engineered rig. Whether the ride height was raised 3" or 10", it doesn't play a significant role determining if the arms will come into contact with anything. I've seen plenty of XJs sporting 33's and long arms, it'll be fine.

Comment

your right. with mine the 35's will hit the inner fender just as the shock completely bottoms out, so its bump stopped just before this. which is a good amount before the arm hits the body. I have stock bumps on top in the coil spring, and 3 hockey pucks on top of the axle, so the axle gets up pretty high and I still have an inch between the frame and arms.
                      Dan.
                      2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
                      www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

my tj ran 4" short arm's and i never really had a problem with it performance wise. flexed good, ride was decent as long as air pressure set correctly. although i never did any high speed wheeling. i believe i got around 868 rti score with swaybar in rear still connected.

up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                        eliminator MJ - Sold
                        99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                        Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Ya I guess it would really depend on the Hight and tire combo. I just thought like with 3inches the bumpstops or shocks would limit the flex. But cool................... Ok phil time to get some some long arms for that rig
                          -57 GMC Pickup
                          -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Ya I guess it would really depend on the Hight and tire combo. I just thought like with 3inches the bumpstops or shocks would limit the flex. But cool................... Ok phil time to get some some long arms for that rig
                            Yeahhh we'll see....
                            sigpic
                            Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Hey Phil you ever get this done? im kinda at the same point where i need control arms and im looking at the clayton kit. im already bumpstopped with some 10" travel f150 shocks up front with only 2" of lift but im thinking ill eventually go to 3" coils and 35s
                              00 xj hp44 aussie lsd 5.38s, d60 welded 5.38s, 37" MTR Kevlars on 17" H2 wheels, chevy one ton steering, comanche rear leafs, 11" inch travel bilsteins in the front 14" in the rear

98 xj hp30 open 4.10s, 8.8 lsd 4.10s, 33" duratracs on 16" moabs, ruffstuff frame stiffeners, custom 3 link 3/4 heims for the upper and 1.25 for the lowers, f150 10" travel shocks in the front with 3" coils and yj brake hoses, an extra main leaf in the rear and 1.5" lift shackles in the rear

Comment

Down side to long arms is getting hung up on stuff. That's it.

Comment

Working...
                                X