transmission jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission jack

Alright guys so i am going to attempt to do the clutch in my 98, so far the biggest issue i am running into is getting the tcase and tranny down with out killing myself. a transmission jack is not really in the budget at the moment. any good ideas or contraptions some one has come up with to do this same job?
    -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
    -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
    -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
    -57 GMC Pickup
    -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Harbor freight has a 450 lb transmission jack for $80 and an 800 lb one for $130. Just throwing it out there if you weren't aware of the these cheaper options. Its not free but a good price to make the job easier and if your only using it every once in a while there's no need for a nice one.

Comment

I have a motorcycle / atv jack that I've used in the past. Works very well
      I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

I find dizzys hand works well. Or a rebular jack and ratchet strap and be careful. Take the tcase of the tranny first.
        -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
          I find dizzys hand works well. Or a rebular jack and ratchet strap and be careful. Take the tcase of the tranny first.
          Sounds like this will be the option I'm going for.
          -57 GMC Pickup
          -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by cherokee-at-16 View Post
            Harbor freight has a 450 lb transmission jack for $80 and an 800 lb one for $130. Just throwing it out there if you weren't aware of the these cheaper options. Its not free but a good price to make the job easier and if your only using it every once in a while there's no need for a nice one.
            harbor frieght has a mount that goes on a regular floor jack to make it a trans jack also. not the best thing but its pretty cheap if you use one of their 25% off coupons you find in magazines.

Comment

Originally posted by CntStpTheStnk06 View Post
              Sounds like this will be the option I'm going for.
              You want to use my hand? I mean u can use my left one cause I'm a righty.
              Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by lilnapsak View Post
                harbor frieght has a mount that goes on a regular floor jack to make it a trans jack also. not the best thing but its pretty cheap if you use one of their 25% off coupons you find in magazines.
                thanks man i am going to look into this, if you have any links please forward
                -57 GMC Pickup
                -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by fizzy View Post
                  You want to use my hand? I mean u can use my left one cause I'm a righty.
                  i am all set man, if i used your left hand then caleb would be lonely
                  -57 GMC Pickup
                  -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by CntStpTheStnk06 View Post
                    i am all set man, if i used your left hand then caleb would be lonely
                    That's why I didn't want to goal my right hand lol.
                    Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

If I were you I would go to somewhere like logan steel and pick up a small section of pipe or something of the like to fit over/through the end of a normal jack then weld that to a steel plate and weld a few supports to the sides of that plate to make yourself a transmission holder for your jack which could probably be done for under $20 if you know where to get the steel.
                      Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
                      93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
                      Eric

Comment

Or u can bench press it. At least it ain't a t56 lol.
                        Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

take the t case off first, the tranny's not that heavy, just sucks when it rains gear oil on your face....
                          No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

lay a piece of plywood on ground (if doing on dirt). floorjack to support weight/help line it up and put a rope under tranny from one frame rail to the other tied off to each frame rail. slide transmission a few inches back so you can do clucth then reassemble.

I love doing TJ's clutches.
                            up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                            eliminator MJ - Sold
                            99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                            Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Working...
                            X