tj rear driveshaft w/sye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tj rear driveshaft w/sye

getting close to it being time for me to get a new driveshaft in the rear of my tj. as of now it is stock, connected to the 8.8 with the t case dropped 3/4 of an inch. vibes are pretty rough at certain rpms so i am thinking at some point the driveshaft is gonna blow a joint and die.

i am gonna go to cv shaft and get rid of the slip yoke on the 231. so my question is, are there any SYE kits to stay away from specifically? naturally, i am going with the cheapest i can find new, if i can't find one used from any of the guys on here.

second, for driveshaft, i have been doing some research and it seems like the common ideas are to either go with a tom woods or get a xj front shaft and cut down. what is everyone's opinion? i like the idea of getting a tom woods for the quality obviously but if i can achieve the same result with a cut down xj shaft for 250$ less i'd much rather do that.

just looking for opinions from everyone on this while i do my research and come to a decision. install won't happen until spring most likely unless it is the cut down option potentially sooner.

also looking at getting gears for my 8.8 in a similar timeframe as the driveshaft and was looking at g2 and nitro since they are cheapest. again if anyone has input it is much appreciated.

thanks guys
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

PLEASE GET GEARS!!! or a v8....
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
      PLEASE GET GEARS!!! or a v8....
      -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
      -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
      -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
      -57 GMC Pickup
      -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Tom Woods will get you a longer slip more angle on your CV and larger yokes.

I would just call Tom Woods and see what his price is for both the SYE and Shaft
        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
          Tom Woods will get you a longer slip more angle on your CV and larger yokes.

I would just call Tom Woods and see what his price is for both the SYE and Shaft
          ok thanks for the advice, i was leaning towards that being more worth it for the quality anyways.

and caleb,

i will soon enough lol. i GUARANTEE new gears before OER V. and you can quote me on that.

Comment

you could just go with advance adapters super short SYE and DS combo....decent quality and not so expensive....dont cheap out on this area unless you wanna drive home from mabelle with an aussie locked front end....not fun....ask me how i know....lol
            99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

Originally posted by kracker View Post
              you could just go with advance adapters super short SYE and DS combo....decent quality and not so expensive....dont cheap out on this area unless you wanna drive home from mabelle with an aussie locked front end....not fun....ask me how i know....lol
              yeah man i'm sure, that's something i've been having nightmares about lol.

oh and caleb in regards to your v8 comment, IMO any extra horsepower would just be way excessive........

Comment

No problems with my PORC shaft yet. Good prices, and I know alot of people run them.
                Shane "The Bag" Carlson

2.5L TJ, 5-speed, frankenlift, and stuff.
                My "Bucket" Build
                MilitaryJeepers.com
                ‚——P--;===±--= <-
                !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YJ-TJ-XJ-231...item5ae2eacfd8

this should do you just fine if you are on a budget....
                  Last edited by kracker; 12-20-2011, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kracker View Post
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/YJ-TJ-XJ-231...item5ae2eacfd8

this should do you just fine if you are on a budget....
                    damn, thanks that's apretty sweet deal plus i don't need the best of the best by any means with my build. just have to be sure it'll end up being the correct length with my rear end setup.

Comment

after you pay for it all you do is install the sye and then you call with driveshaft measurements and they send you a driveshaft ,,,pretty simple but if im not mistaken they usually have a standard size driveshaft for 231'swith a SYE....but with your setup id play it safe and measure...also what do have on the end of the 8.8? a yoke? or flange? thats also a factor too...i went with a flange that fit a 1330 ujoint and had a 1310 on the driveshaft end and i had no binding issues at all...the 1310/1330 ujoint gave me the clearance i needed with my particular setup...i was have problems with the DS binding and blowing the u joint until i did that...the only thing i would is when you order your SYE and DS get an extra yoke/flange for the 8.8 and a spare yoke for the DS(the one that goes over the splines) and put a new ujoint in it and keep it aside so that way should you happen to blow it up you have a spare to get you out of trouble so you dont have that joyful two hr ride from mabelle with an aussie locked 30,LOL....hope this helped you out....

Comment

yeah bill, just saw the part saying where you install and then measure. i would definitely want to do that. for my 8.8 i have a flange adapter thing that is flat and bolts to the 8.8 flange with 2 loops coming off it to hold the 2 ends of the u joint that are not attached to the driveshaft. the ujoint i have in there now is a 1310 to 1330 so 8.8 side is 1330.

Comment

good...thats what you need.... just make sure you have spares...but i had SOA setup,you have links....but still keep a spare for each one cause ya never know,LOL....i wouldnt worry about the CV end blowing i would worry about 8.8 side....then that way your pretty much good to go...if you need any help let me know....

Comment

Working...
                          X