Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Q

So, I'm somewhat curious.

This question has to do with an aspect of snorkels/ram-air style scoops and rainwater/ accidental dunking.

Am I just missing something or is there nothing but the air filter preventing rainwater from entering the engine? I know it wouldn't do anything really, but I'm curious because say you dunk a snorkel, is there any drainage? I'm curious because I could see a pre-filter helping with this, but other than that, can't see any system that would work without restriction of air-flow...

I realize I'm dumb, just curious I suppose. I feel like there should be something more than just a sealed pipe going into the intake manifold.

Explanation?
    "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
    It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

As long as the water is just misted/rain drops in to the motor for the most part it all vaporizes before in can cause any real damage.

Comment

I know that, I'm just curious about if there's a drainage system in check for a LOT of water getting in.
      "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...

Comment

I don't think there is such a thing, at least on the ones I've seen. If there has to be an exit for water to drain, that becomes an entrance for unfiltered air.
        -Josh

2000 Jeep Cherokee 2" lift, 30x9.5 General Grabber AT2

Comment

I have a snorkel setup in my garage and judging by how I have to install it, no there is no drainage. but then again there isn't any drainage on a stock air intake setup is there? Also in terms of getting rain in the snorkel I have seen people turn the heads backwards, I have driven a few with this and it really doesn't seem to effect performance at all, only took them up to about 45mph, but it does keep the rain out when driving especially with knobby tires outside of the wheel wells flinging water off of the road directly onto the snorkel head.
          Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
          93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
          Eric

Comment

on my old eclipse my intake ended in the bumper so the filter was right there. it had a shut off valve in it that when water hit it would shut. it had a small hose going to a higher point in the engine bay that it could survive on.
            Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by WickedXJ View Post
              I have a snorkel setup in my garage and judging by how I have to install it, no there is no drainage. but then again there isn't any drainage on a stock air intake setup is there? Also in terms of getting rain in the snorkel I have seen people turn the heads backwards, I have driven a few with this and it really doesn't seem to effect performance at all, only took them up to about 45mph, but it does keep the rain out when driving especially with knobby tires outside of the wheel wells flinging water off of the road directly onto the snorkel head.
              The stock airbox has one or two small holes on the bottom. I was actually thinking the exact same thing as the OP the other day
              2002 TJ Sport 3" AEV coils with OME LTs

Comment

Originally posted by MikalCarbine View Post
                The stock airbox has one or two small holes on the bottom. I was actually thinking the exact same thing as the OP the other day
                Right I forgot about those, well the snorkel I have routes through the stock air box so question solved.
                Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
                93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
                Eric

Comment

I wonder what would happen if you submerged the stock airbox connected to snorkel for several minutes, think it'd be enough to choke it?
                  2002 TJ Sport 3" AEV coils with OME LTs

Comment

Originally posted by MikalCarbine View Post
                    I wonder what would happen if you submerged the stock airbox connected to snorkel for several minutes, think it'd be enough to choke it?
                    100% yes. if its completly submerged and not completly sealed water will find its way in. add a vacumn to that and its going to pull it in faster.

Comment

Originally posted by lilnapsak View Post
                      100% yes. if its completly submerged and not completly sealed water will find its way in. add a vacumn to that and its going to pull it in faster.
                      This. but you could theoretically make it possible but then you wouldn't be able to drain out rain water that gets into the snorkel intake...also the fact that to get that air box submerged would cause the main fuse box to be submerged that could possibly create some issues as well. Long story short snorkels are for clean air not for fording unless you own a Humvee or a deuce and a half.
                      Eric

Comment

Originally posted by WickedXJ View Post
                        This. but you could theoretically make it possible but then you wouldn't be able to drain out rain water that gets into the snorkel intake...also the fact that to get that air box submerged would cause the main fuse box to be submerged that could possibly create some issues as well. Long story short snorkels are for clean air not for fording unless you own a Humvee or a deuce and a half.
                        So is a stock airbox...

Unless that folded paper thing inside mine was left there by the PO...
                        2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                        MK2 Jetta > M3
                        Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Snorkels are for fording water but not for submerging.

Comment

heavy trucks have the same issue. The air intake is on the outside of the body so they take in some water. They use a little rubber one way drain to get rid of any water that could have come in, and the intake vacuum basically keeps it closed while running.
                            heres the only pics i can find
                            http://s2k4.me/smf/index.php?topic=1176.0

it wouldnt keep if from ingesting water, but if it was in the lowest part of the intake, it would at least allow it to drain.
                            Dan.
                            2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
                            www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Thats what I was looking for! Thanks dude.

Comment

Working...
                              X