exhaust leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust leak

i am pretty sure i am having an exhaust leak on my tj right now but not 100% sure. it's got the usual symptoms and subsides as the engine warms up. i also read this could mean that the tappets need to be replaced? if anyone knows about that please speak up because i don't.

so next question, assuming it is exhaust and say for example my manifold is cracked or i have a shot cat would it be a worthwhile project/investment to redo the entire exhaust? the muffler is on its last legs and the pipes are rusting out too i am sure but haven't checked in a while. it's pretty expensive to do obviously but it may be worth it. i would need a manifold, cat, muffler, the usual piping, clamps, some weld, etc. anything else i missed?

any input appreciated
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

is the 2.5 cat part of the manifold or is it underneath like on the 4.0's ?
    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
    eliminator MJ - Sold
    99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
    Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

im pretty sure it is underneath in front of the muffler but not sure as of now

Comment

cracked my stock header too, pretty common on tjs. I went with a banks header with new gasket, install was a PITA.

Comment

Could also be that gasket where the down-pipe meets the header, that's where my leak always seems to come from...
          Shane "The Bag" Carlson

2.5L TJ, 5-speed, frankenlift, and stuff.
          My "Bucket" Build
          MilitaryJeepers.com
          ‚——P--;===±--= <-
          !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

well it's going to have to stay leaking through the winter which isn't a big deal since i am away. just don't have the time to dig through all that on breaks. it will be a spring project, probably will just go through the entire thing looking for cracks or weak spots or rust. depending on how everything looks i may replace from the bottom up or just do the manifold or something. my dad said he wanted it done whatever it costs, and obviously i will save him a shit load doing it myself vs a shop doing it. hopefully he wants to do the entire thing

Comment

Working...
            X