CLutch in 98 xj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLutch in 98 xj

Just picked up a 98 xj 5 spd with 108 on the clock. It needs a clutch, i have never done one before so i am wondering if there are any suggestions on parts or how to go about doing it. Thanks guys!
    -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
    -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
    -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
    -57 GMC Pickup
    -Tim (OIIIIIO)

If the new clutch didn't come with it you'll need a clutch alignment tool which is cheap. Other then that its really not a hard job but time consuming. Not sure on an XJ but on a TJ we had the engine and trans out anyway so we did the clutch while we were in there
    I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

ya im gunna try and not pull the engine lol. i did not kno if there was a certain brand anyone would recommend ?
      -57 GMC Pickup
      -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

get a Luk brand clutch kit. its oem and holds up well

im assuming xj use's an ax-15 also. if so its not to bad, theres some writeups online. if you have access to a lift (shop) its super simple) if not you can do it in your driveway just a little more difficult.

most of the time people recommend machining flywheel or replacing but i honestly never had a problem with the flywheel on a jeep unless it was contaminated with something.
        up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
        eliminator MJ - Sold
        99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
        Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Couple of jackstands, pull the trans/transferr case and replace clutch and inspect flywheel.

Comment

Ya the more research I do it seems pretty straight forward
            -57 GMC Pickup
            -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by 1cleantj View Post
              get a Luk brand clutch kit. its oem and holds up well

im assuming xj use's an ax-15 also. if so its not to bad, theres some writeups online. if you have access to a lift (shop) its super simple) if not you can do it in your driveway just a little more difficult.

most of the time people recommend machining flywheel or replacing but i honestly never had a problem with the flywheel on a jeep unless it was contaminated with something.
              If you're not going to change the fly wheel take it SUPER easy on the clutch for 1000 - 1500 miles. If you get in there and the fly feels like a shot brake rotor just replace it unless you really feel like doing the job twice a little longer down the road.

Personally I would just do it while I was in there. Do these year Jeeps have slave cylinders? I would at least check the slave while in there
              I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Ya I'm going to check it out if the jeep has
                A slave cylinder could it just be that. The car jerks when u let the clutch out and I'm surprised the clutch went cuz I knew the previous owner and they have been driving a stickfor along time
                -57 GMC Pickup
                -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

all the clutch kits i've used came with alignment tools, don't think I've ever used them though, it's been a while
                  1992 xj Briarwood
                  Disconnect d30 5.13 Super 35 kit 5.13 36x14x18 TSL's
                  Welded front and rear
                  13' LED roof lights
                  Disco ball
                  Truck nuts
                  Spinners

Comment

Working...
                  X