8.8 welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.8 welding

do i need to remove the gears when i weld the tubes to the center section?

I think I did with mine, it doesnt take much extra time to do and you wont mess anything up by removing and reinstalling them, just mark the orientation of the bearing caps, and keep each bearing race with the bearing it was with.
    1950 Willys Trail Rig
    2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

^^ what he said.. Its a good time to inspect everything while you're in there.. I tried to mig and tig mine with no luck, ending up doing it with a low hydrogen rod with the buzz box.. 7018 if I recall correctly
      95 xj JY 3" 35" truxus mt's

Comment

Why not just use a mini spool they are only like $150

Just don't weld the pin in place you will not be able to install the C-clip
        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
          Why not just use a mini spool they are only like $150

Just don't weld the pin in place you will not be able to install the C-clip
          im pretty sure the op is was asking about welding the tubes to the center section, not the spider gears..

but i welded my spiders with no ill effects, can pull the center pin just as easy as when it was open, and it didnt cost me $150
          95 xj JY 3" 35" truxus mt's

Comment

oops I've done a few I just weld them with the gears in it I don't think it gets hot enough to do anything.
            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

I left mine in.

I would do alternating sides and opposite sides of the tube to distribute the heat evenly so not to warp anything.

Comment

Id leave em in...
                89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
                95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
                97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
                If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Working...
                X