welder problem, wire wont feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welder problem, wire wont feed

So, last night i went to use Dana's lincoln 175 to weld my rear end. (barrowed it to weld a 44 up and worked like a charm.) well i got it set up, put a spool of wire in it, got the wire fed through to the gun, and i get under teh jeep and ready to melt metal. (i turned the wire speed all the way up to feed it faster, then turned it back down) pull the trigger and the wire wont feed. take it apart and the wire feed motor is not spinning. the trigger is working as u can hear the relay and gas still kick in.

anyone know of any common problems with these welders? im figureing its something between the potentiometer, circuit board, or motor. (hard time believing its the motor) all wiring conections are good. im going to take a reading from teh potentiometer tonight to see if the resistance is broken.

where is teh best place to get replacement parts for these? or should i just bring it to the pros to fix?
    Originally posted by Ktmracer419
    some people choose video games
    some choose projects
    some choose welding random things together

hopefully Owen will chime in but if not I would take it the pros.

Comment

Not sure about Lincolns but on my Miller there is a knob to adjust the tension on the wire feed. The spool mounts and then goes into this knob that unscrews and swings out. Did you change wire size?

Comment

http://www.fixya.com/support/t102710...ln_pro_mig_175

Comment

A big problem with quite a few MIG welding machines is that inexperienced people over tighten the tensioner for the feed rolls. Most of the time if your having issues with erratic wire feed, its an issue with the conduit (liner) in the MIG gun, or the contact tip. Someone who isnt familiar with it would think the rolls are slipping because of lack of tension. And once you get it to tight it begins to flatten the wire which aggravates the problem further. Also make sure the wire is in the feed groove. If you had no issues before the wire change its most likely either a different wire size or it isnt located properly in the drive rolls.
          hope this helps
          Thanks,
          Mike.
          Elite Fusion Fabrication.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys, but im not that inexperienced lololol. Its nothing to do with the liner or tension on the wire. The wire feed wheel is physicaly not turning with or without wire.
            some choose projects

Comment

actually last night i was driving out to lowes and stumbled upon a new welding store that was open AT 730pm!!!, walked in and they just opened yesterday. nice place and the guy there told me to bring the welder in to check it out. so the next chance i get ill be going to visit them
              some choose projects

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
                actually last night i was driving out to lowes and stumbled upon a new welding store that was open AT 730pm!!!, walked in and they just opened yesterday. nice place and the guy there told me to bring the welder in to check it out. so the next chance i get ill be going to visit them
                and what place is this for future night/day time ??

Comment

Maine oxy. The old crown metal
                  some choose projects

Comment

good to know

Comment

Thanks for looking into thins Andy

sorry its givin your problems
                      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

kay, so ive pretty much narrowed it down to the control board.
                        im still hoping owen chimes in, i remeber he said he used to fix welders?

so heres my diagnosis.

i checked the resistance on the wire feed potentiometer.
                        -resistance goes up and down when you turn the nob
                        -cant be the issue

i checked to make sure there wasnt a fault with the wire fee motor.
                        -jumped the leads to the motor and it turned on no issue

checked the leads coming off the control board
                        -when you push the trigger no voltage comes off the leads
                        -meaning no power is going to the motor.
                        -meaning the connection break must be on the control board itself.

does this make sense? im no electronic guru but it makes sence to me.
                        and i want a second opinion before i order a 150 dollar part thats non returnable.
                        some choose projects

Comment

Take the board out and find the relay on it and desolder it and solder on a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
                            kay, so ive pretty much narrowed it down to the control board.
                            im still hoping owen chimes in, i remeber he said he used to fix welders?

so heres my diagnosis.

i checked the resistance on the wire feed potentiometer.
                            -resistance goes up and down when you turn the nob
                            -cant be the issue

i checked to make sure there wasnt a fault with the wire fee motor.
                            -jumped the leads to the motor and it turned on no issue

checked the leads coming off the control board
                            -when you push the trigger no voltage comes off the leads
                            -meaning no power is going to the motor.
                            -meaning the connection break must be on the control board itself.

does this make sense? im no electronic guru but it makes sence to me.
                            and i want a second opinion before i order a 150 dollar part thats non returnable.
                            Sounds like you did everything that I would have done, you tested the board output to the motor in AC and DC volts I presume? The boards do go bad, $150 for one is cheap (probably meaning they go bad in that model frequently). If you could find a print for the board you might be able to repair it, but I do not know if Lincoln sell individual compentents for circuit boards, you would have to find a good electronics supplier.
                            1950 Willys Trail Rig
                            2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Working...
                            X