Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC leak...HELP!!

So I know i keep asking tons of questions, but I like to learn

Anyways, so I want to fix my jeep up a little better; i am sick and tired of rolling down my windows on the highway and blasting my eardrums out. I know winter is coming so I wont really need it, but I might be trying to sell this xj sometime soon. I have probably used about 4 full cans of r-134a refrigerant and a can of dye to find the leak, but it's a no go so far.

So the very first thing I tried doing with the ac was to load up the system...So I use a can of refrigerant and the compressor clutch engages. HOWEVER, i smelled the r-134a leaking out somewhere...I couldnt find it with the dye and yes I did use special glasses and it didn't help. So i said why not just try and get another compressor...so I got that in and installed another used hose connecting to it and still a no go. Then I was at the junkyard a few days ago and I saw a little black can that is on a bracket that is bolted to the fram near the oil filter with a nut. So i took that for a few bucks and tried to replace that. STILL leaking somewhere.

Can anyone please help me? I don't know what else to do and I DO NOT want to spend any more money on damn refrigerant if its just gonna leak out everywhere..that shit is too expensive Is there like a common leak spot for jeeps?

Maybe someone would be willing to troubleshoot it with me in person if someone is nice enough....Im currently in Storrs but am willing to travel if someone can help me! I don't want to take it to a shop because they are scumbags most of the time and overcharge....
    97 Chevy Blazer LT 2" Body lift, 2" Suspension lift, 31" General Grabbers AT2. Sold
    96 Jeep XJ Classic 6.5" RC lift with 33" Duratracs. Sold
    00 Jeep XJ Sport 4.5" lift 33" BFG MudTerrains

It could be pretty much any where if you can smell.it its a pretty big leak that dye shit sucks I would get some pressure im it let it run get some soap bubbles and check all the joints. Its probally an o ring that is bad

Comment

probably the evaporator Cherokees are good for them.

probably do the heater core at the same time.
      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
      www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
      Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Sell the Jeep in the winter time...nobody will think to even try the A/C. As long as the heat works the buyer will be happy. And winter is a good time to pawn your Jeep off on someone who wants 4x4 anyhow.
        06 Wrangler TJ 6 Speed 4" Rough Country Lift on BF Goodrich 33's.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewarrior7 View Post
          Sell the Jeep in the winter time...nobody will think to even try the A/C. As long as the heat works the buyer will be happy. And winter is a good time to pawn your Jeep off on someone who wants 4x4 anyhow.
          i always try to the a/c bought almost all my cars in the winter lol.

Check the evaporator like justin said and while your in there do the heater core. or you could stick with the 4/60 air (roll all four down and go 60mph).
          Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
            probably the evaporator Cherokees are good for them.

probably do the heater core at the same time.
            bingo! it's more of a dodge chrysler product thing.

Comment

This isn't the issue but for reference when the system is empty you dont want to just charge it. To do it right you need to pull a vacuum on the system and evacuate all the air for it to run in tip top shape.
              I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

^ he is right if it is empty I would pressure test it with nitrogen to.find leak the put a vacumn on it to remove any moisture in it. Then recharge it

Comment

Okay, so i dont know exactly where the heater core is...so where is it? lol

and for the evaporator, i heard that i have to take the whole dash off for that? i got a 96 xj
                  97 Chevy Blazer LT 2" Body lift, 2" Suspension lift, 31" General Grabbers AT2. Sold

Comment

Heater core is under dash as well that's why you change both while it's all apart

Comment

Originally posted by blazerguy912 View Post
                      Okay, so i dont know exactly where the heater core is...so where is it? lol

and for the evaporator, i heard that i have to take the whole dash off for that? i got a 96 xj
                      Start pulling the dash. They are side by side.
                      I haven't done one in a while some times you can cheat if you don't care and break the housing open and patch it back together.
                      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                      www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                      Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Don't pull a vacuum on something that has a leak. Fix the leak first. Then pull it down.

Comment

just screw ac and make the compressor an on board air set up
                          TeamRedNReckless

98 zj 4" 31's no fenders or doors -Retired-

4x4 Abbreviations

Comment

Originally posted by CSaddict View Post
                            Don't pull a vacuum on something that has a leak. Fix the leak first. Then pull it down.
                            True. On bigger units we charge it with r22 and nitrogen to detect leaks then you pull a vacuum after to remove all that.
                            I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                              True. On bigger units we charge it with r22 and nitrogen to detect leaks then you pull a vacuum after to remove all that.
                              i am willing to pay someone a little somethin somethin to help me at least find the leak..fixing it isnt really that much of an issue..looks like u might be able to do it for me?

Comment

Working...
                              X