New double sheer track bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New double sheer track bar

I need a new track bar as mine is a hodge-podge of the stock mounting bracket, a tomken drop bracket, and a rusty's track bar.....yes driving sucks ass. Anyway what I am looking for is something that is double sheer probably with heim or joints with bushings. It has to be adjustable from 4.5" to 6.5" if I decide to change up my lift. And I would very much prefer it to be bolt on, though I might be able to deal with a little drilling. I have looked at these three but the Clayton one seems to me to be more HD but the price doesn't seem to me to reflect how much more HD it is than the other ones, meaning it costs more than I think it is worth, I don't know feel free to convince me I'm wrong. I like the Rock Krawler one but it looks like it is the same basic thing as the IRO one but the IRO one is less? And of course I am biased to IRO but I don't want that to limit my decision. If you have any more feel free to toss their hat in the ring. Really appreciate any help guys.
    Here are the 3 I am considering.
    http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=XSP
    http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/cat...p?r_itemID=273
    http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/310
    Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
    93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
    Eric

clayton would be my first choice and second would be rockkrawler and I doubt I would even consider ironrock

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
      clayton would be my first choice and second would be rockkrawler and I doubt I would even consider ironrock
      Other than listing them in order of price any reason why?
      Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
      93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
      Eric

Comment

clayton uses a 2.5 johnny joint in double sheer at the bracket end and a clevite bushing on the axle end. You have the option of using the stock size bolt on the axle end or upgrading to the heavy duty 9/16's bolt.

bracket bolts up to the OEM 4 mounting bolts, its recommended that you weld it though.

Rockkrawler uses a smaller joint, thats really the only difference. The interwebs says it will wear out faster.... i believe them. rockkrawler is also solid steel, idk why because its no stronger than the clayton one that's made from DOM

johnny joints are the fucking shit. I can garuntee you won't have to touch the clayton bar for at least 4-5 years (in terms of putting new bushings in the joint)

Alot of people around here run the rockkrawler one and i've never heard of anyone having problems with it. It's not a bad setup.

IronRock Offroad is a joke. period. Same level of crap as Rusty's Offroad. Abuse it and imminent death will follow. to be 100% honest, i don't know how your front end hasn't fallen out yet. That "3 link" scares the living crap out of me.
        Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 07-10-2011, 01:14 AM.
        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by WickedXJ View Post
          Other than listing them in order of price any reason why?
          also... price follows quality???

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

I like my clayton trac bar, its pretty damn sweet!
            -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

RK, no complaints.

IRO does in fact scare me. Sketchy shit. Sketchy like niglets.
              2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
              MK2 Jetta > M3
              Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by SwampAss View Post
                RK, no complaints.

IRO does in fact scare me. Sketchy shit. Sketchy like niglets.
                uhhhh, you have a JKS trac bar so how would you have any expierence with Rock Krawler? Just sayin........
                -Caleb

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                  also... price follows quality???
                  this in most cases correct, you get what you pay for!
                  Last edited by clean4drxj; 07-10-2011, 10:10 AM.

Comment

You run a 9/16 bolt with the rock krawler one too for the record. The bar and the mounting bracket are fucking beefy.

1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                    1999 sierra
                    1967 M725 Big and Slow
                    -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
                      uhhhh, you have a JKS trac bar so how would you have any expierence with Rock Krawler? Just sayin........
                      Sorry folks, my personal mechanic says I musta not swapped out my track bars. My B.
                      Last edited by Ruepart Hoaxley; 07-10-2011, 10:45 AM.
                      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                      MK2 Jetta > M3
                      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by SwampAss View Post
                        Sorry folks, my personal mechanic says I musta not swapped out my track bars. My B.
                        you didnt' I saw your jeep the other day, inrnet ego is no good ya poor fuck.
                        -Caleb

Comment

Well how long do you think the RK one would last in comparison to the Clayton one? RK does have a lifetime warranty, does Clayton? I think I might be leaning towards the Clayton offroad simply becuase of this sentence
                          We have seen many cheap, poorly designed, and weak track bars which can and will cause death wobble issues.
                          I have had it and it scares the living shit out of me doing 70mph and just out of fucking no where my Jeep tried to rip itself to pieces. I don't have death wobble now that I put new "like 1-ton" steering on but my track bar is screwed and it feels like it could come back at any time. Also the RK one recommends a drop pitman arm and the Clayton one says that it will run stock form 3-6" of lift I have 6.5" coils can I run my stock pitman arm or is that out of the question? Again thanks for the help guys.
                          Eric

Comment

both have lifetime warranties, but neither warranty covers wear on the joint itself.

I have no personal experience with the RK joint, depending on abuse, i'd say 2-4 years before you'd need to replace the worn parts.

I personally have seen and worked on trucks with johnny joints that are 5-6 years old that aside from being dirty as all hell, are in good enough condition where i wouldn't even bother changing them out. Johnny joints are the shit.

Clayton makes an OEM height one for anywhere from 3-6 and then a drop bracket for the 6.5 and 8 kits. You can continue to run your pitman arm, i recommend the drop pitman arm though with that much lift so you can flatten out your drag link angle.

ForSure Motorsports
                            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

anybody can say that other bars can lead to death wobble issues. So many things can lead to death wobble issues. I'm not against clayton by any means, I'm all for supporting a local guy. But I think that's a steep price for a track bar. I've run my RK one for 6+ months with no issues.
                              1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                              1999 sierra
                              1967 M725 Big and Slow
                              -Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X