Dirt Bike to Street Legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt Bike to Street Legal?

Whats the bare minimum that needs to happen to convert a dirt bike to street legal?
    4x4 Station Wagon...

supermotojunkie.com-might be able to find a little more info there.

Comment

you need a larger stator plate for more charging, blinkers, horn, brakelight(function), alot of work consideering the options out there, also theres paper work for the DMV side of this.

Comment

I made a street legal bike from an XR400R with a kit from Baja designs a while back. Registered it and brought it through inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Crunch View Post
          Whats the bare minimum that needs to happen to convert a dirt bike to street legal?
          per the CT dmv website

Definition - Motorcycle
          According to Connecticut General Statute 14-1, www.cga.ct.gov
          "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle, with or without a sidecar, having not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and a saddle or seat on which the rider sits or a platform on which the rider stands and includes bicycles having a motor attached, except 'bicycles' propelled by means of a helper motor as defined in Connecticut General Statute 14-1, but does not include a vehicle having a completely or partially enclosed driver's seat and a motor which is not in the enclosed area.
          Handle Bars
          Motorcycle handle bars are to be no higher than the operator's shoulders.
          Odometer/speedometer
          Required.
          Drive chain
          A chain-guard is required.
          Registration
          Motorcycles are required to display one number plate at the rear.
          Headlight
          Each motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one, but not more than two, headlamps. Either the single or multi-beam type light shall be permissible.
          Tail light/stop light
          At least one red tail-lamp and one stop light are required. The rear number plate must be illuminated with a white light.
          Brakes
          Each motorcycle and motorcycle with sidecar shall be provided with at least one brake. Motorcycles designated as 1974 or later models shall be equipped with brakes on the front and rear wheels, excluding wheel(s) of a sidecar.
          Original Vehicle Identification Number
          This must be cleaned so that it can be checked by the Inspector. A new Connecticut identification number may be assigned if appropriate.
          Note: All composite motorcycle inspections are done at the Wethersfield inspection lane from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
          "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

dana pretty much covered it, blinkers are optional , but then you would need to use hand signals.

Digital odometer/speedometer is easiest way to gain those things

if your dirtbike already has a headlight, adding a LED tail light would be your best bet to keep your bike charging if its electric start. unless you got a tail light already

cheap led turn signals would be nice also.

DOT legal tires for inspection.

here is a street legal enduro (my bike) for reference. these tires would not pass inspection though.

Last edited by 1cleantj; 07-06-2011, 06:50 PM.
            up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
            eliminator MJ - Sold
            99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
            Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by CSaddict View Post
              I made a street legal bike from an XR400R with a kit from Baja designs a while back. Registered it and brought it through inspection.
              I had that kit on my XR350 back in 98

Comment

Working...
              X