engine knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine knock

So my engine had a slight knock sound to it for awhile and i just ignored it because it was so slight and i never saw any metal in my oil.... The knock has amplified not horrible but its louder. its coming from the lower back end of the engine but today I crawled under and it almost sounds like it coming more from the bell housing.. maybe it could be the torque converter bolts loose or cracked flywheel? . Is it a common problem for the bolts to come loose. I'm hoping its not rod knock , or some sort of internal problems. The jeep just hit 120k .
    any info would be great. Planning on pulling the access cover off the bell-housing to check thous bolts this weekend.
    Last edited by ErikVilla; 05-12-2011, 04:46 PM.
    01 tj

Idk...its sounds like you already looked up possible answers to your problem. Yes the torque converter/flex plate bolts are known to come loose and if you hear It coming from the bell housing then yes you should pop off that access panel and check it out. Theres not much room but I believe theres room enough to fit a wrench to reach the first bolt and then spin it to reach the others.

Everything I just said relates to the Cherokee though, lol. Hope it applies/helps

Comment

We cannot diagnose a nois over the internet. your engine knock might not be what I consider a knock.

You need a better ear find someone familar with diagnosing lower end noise etc.

If you pull the injector wire off does the noise go away? If it is a rod knock removing the load on the cylinder the knock should go away at least some.
      I've diagnosed plenty and done pleny of rod bearings you can just do them in the car you can even do the mains in the car. I actually just did one in a toyota matrix 2 weeks ago.
      If your ear is not experienced enough just pull the pan and a few caps and look. Not that hard. Just mark the caps so they stay in right order and direction.

It is an automatic?
      Flex plates do crack and make hard to diagnos noise. more of a click sometimes chirp.
      Gets worse under load, not just rpms?

Also buy a stethiscope.

If you want to pay someone to fix it try imported automotive in 8 brock st trumbull 203-445-0277. I work mon and wed nights. we have fixed plenty of rod knocks etc. looks run down but excellent mechanics.

~justin
      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
      www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
      Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

I checked my torque converter bolts and snugged them up i inspected what i could of the flex plate all seemed ok. noise is still there. When I am driving I can not hear the knocking sound . It runs good still doesn't seem any different. Its deff seems to be coming from the very back of the engine near the rear main seal i just cant tell if its coming from the bell-housing or the back of the engine.It is an automatic.. In drive if i'm just sitting there i can hear it but when the rpms go up I don't seem to hear it. My next thing was to pull the pan and inspect the lower half . If me and my dad cant figure it out adventualy ill have it checked out or ill run it until it blows.
        Last edited by ErikVilla; 05-13-2011, 03:38 PM.
        01 tj

Comment

when flexplates crack it's around the crank bolts no way to see it without taking it out.
          you don't need to remove the tranny completely just move it back 6"
          RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
          www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
          Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

I have had cracked flex plates, a good way to tell if it is cracked is to put it in gear and hold the brakes and bring the rpms up a little and see if it gets worse. Mine would knock at idle but the knock would go away once you got rolling. I changed all of my rod bearing before I figured what it really was...
            1950 Willys Trail Rig
            2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by OWEN View Post
              I have had cracked flex plates, a good way to tell if it is cracked is to put it in gear and hold the brakes and bring the rpms up a little and see if it gets worse. Mine would knock at idle but the knock would go away once you got rolling. I changed all of my rod bearing before I figured what it really was...
              I Also noticed once in a while i get a sound when i start it that sounded like the starter was going but it only does it once in a blue moon. when it warms up the knocking sound doesn't sound as loud and sometimes you cant hear it unless you crawl under the jeep other times you can hear it down the drive way this is why I don't believe its in the engine its not consistent. Im going to pull the trans back next weekend and look at the flex plate im hoping this is the problem.
              01 tj

Comment

my tj had what sounded like a knock but it was only the heat raiser on the exhuast man. the guy that put it on justed used shity lock washers could maybe be that
                2000 xj 4.5 clayton longarms with wontons with a touch of
                97' zj
                2012 surbra imperza DD
                im a motivation machine like the hammer and sickle in communism

Comment

Working...
                X