school me on gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Havoc319 View Post
    Getting the gears to be like harder, will just make them more brittle. If doing it to gears was worth it, manufacturers would offer it.. The only time i would see it possibly worth it is in a race application.. 1/4 mile run and that is it.
    Richmond PRO gears compaired to normal richmond gear sets, are not to be driven on the street. They are a harder material and can not take the heat of more than say a 1/4 mile pass.
    I don't understand your thinking behind this. I have been reading on pirate and hear tons of people running cryo treated gearsets with no problems.

I think you would have to be an idiot to strip a set of gears on the road unless your sitting in a parking lot trying autocross with your jeep (also bear in mind my jeep won't be a DD). Either that, or whoever set up your gears completely sucks at it.

Wheeling = not very much heat buildup considering the gears arent exactly turning at 1000mph. Most of the time you see gear failure while wheeling is from shockload at low speeds, which is what cryo treating a gearset helps with. I could care less if my gears are brittle if they can withstand a greater shock load.

BTW i don't understand how a 1/4 pass with a drag car with a trap around 120mph or more creates less heat build up than a jeep daily driven at 45mph.
    Last edited by Even; 03-22-2009, 01:03 AM.

Comment

I don't think you guys understand what CryoTreading does to metal.

Cryo treating is the process of dipping metal parts into a vat of liquid nitrogen or other sub zero fluids simply, on a molecular level, to realign the molecules inside the metal to create more wear resistance and to eliminate stress points in the metal. People Cryo treat barrels, especially match shooters who shoot out to 1000 yards. Cryo Treating realigns the molecules in the barrel and relieves any stress points.

Cryo Treating DOES NOT make the part brittle. If you want a brittle part, you do the opposite to it: You head it up to around 800-1000 degrees and then pour water on it to have it cool almost instantly. This violent contraction of metal creates hundreds of stress points and totally fucks the metal. If you did that to one of your rings gears, you probably wouldn't get off of your street.

Major companies don't do it because of Cost. There really isn't much to gain in strength and wear on a part while spending thousands of dollars to do so. It isn't necessary. Besides, you actually think Jeep would cry treat parts? The have other problems to deal with, like 'why is half the stupid fucking thing metric, and the other half is american standard?'
      Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 03-22-2009, 05:02 AM.
      sigpic
      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post

Cryo treating is the process of dipping metal parts into a vat of liquid nitrogen or other sub zero fluids simply, on a molecular level, to realign the molecules inside the metal to create more wear resistance and to eliminate stress points in the metal. People Cryo treat barrels, especially match shooters who shoot out to 1000 yards. Cryo Treating realigns the molecules in the barrel and relieves any stress points.

Cryo Treating DOES NOT make the part brittle. If you want a brittle part, you do the opposite to it: You head it up to around 800-1000 degrees and then pour water on it to have it cool almost instantly. This violent contraction of metal creates hundreds of stress points and totally fucks the metal. If you did that to one of your rings gears, you probably wouldn't get off of your street.

Major companies don't do it because of Cost. There really isn't much to gain in strength and wear on a part while spending thousands of dollars to do so. It isn't necessary. Besides, you actually think Jeep would cry treat parts? The have other problems to deal with, like 'why is half the stupid fucking thing metric, and the other half is american standard?'
        ssooooooo.... youre saying that I should drop the money to get my new gears treated? hahaha
        "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
        It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

Ima gonna put my gears in the freezer and coldogenically lock in the freshness
          dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
            Ima gonna put my gears in the freezer and coldogenically lock in the freshness
            - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
            or am asians pants not a read end lol.
            Originally posted by DizzDizz
            aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post

simply put... and if you want your existing ring n pinion cryo'ed, www.longfieldsuperaxles.com $50/ring n pinion
              87 toy: SAS, detroit, 5 speed swap, 36 TSLs, glass fenders, tons of homemade goodies...scrapped
              94 toy: ex cab, 3.slow, bumpers, detroit, 33s, DD
              88 Zuki: buick 3.8, th350, linkin it with toy axles, duals, tubified...watch for a build

Lead Foot Fab....keep an out for it...

Comment

dont forget to put it in a ziplock baggy b4 u put in da freeeezer
                DONT GET MAD GET ROWDY !!!

Comment

Working...
                X