school me on gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• school me on gears

What is the difference/purpose of thick cut gears vs. standard?

On some sites i see options of having gears cryo treated, what is this and is it worth the money?

thick gears can be used on a stock carrier. as for the cryo shit i have no idea

Comment

makes the gears harder/stronger

can be done for like 50 bucks

not worth it on a production axle imo

maybe if you run a 60/44 using the 44 gears and center and 60 shafts/outers it would make sense
      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

What if i ran 33 spline alloys with my 44 with cryo treated gears?

Also, isn't there a way to run 35 spline shafts on a 44?

Comment

You definately could do that and even have the shafts cro'd. If I recall correctly, my 44 had 35 spline shafts but it was also was done with the Warn full-float kit. I wouldnt doubt that you could get 35 spline shafts and carrier. Not sure if the axle seals would be different.
          88 YJ...kinda. Clayton Hard Arms, V8, 1 tons w/Detroits, twin sticked T-18/NP205, Irok's, MasterCrafts, fuel cell, multi-colored

Comment

Do you have a link for the full float kit? I'm trying to find it but i'm not having any luck.

Comment

This link is to the one 5x4.5 one but I had the 5x5.5 kit. As I look now, it was 30 spline not 35 spline but it had cromoly shafts. It's in Dana's rig now. http://www.offroadtoystore.com/Merch...y_Code=WAAxles
              88 YJ...kinda. Clayton Hard Arms, V8, 1 tons w/Detroits, twin sticked T-18/NP205, Irok's, MasterCrafts, fuel cell, multi-colored

Comment

Thanks, but i think i'm just going to end up running 33 spline chromos with the treated gearset. That kit wouldn't work for me anyways i need 8 on 6.5 and this is for a front axle.
                Last edited by Even; 03-21-2009, 06:34 PM.

Comment

from what ive learned, thick gears retain more heat than the normal thickness ones. Other than that, Ford uses the same carrier for all the different gear sets so the thickness is not that much of a problem.

Getting the gears to be like harder, will just make them more brittle. If doing it to gears was worth it, manufacturers would offer it.. The only time i would see it possibly worth it is in a race application.. 1/4 mile run and that is it.
                  Richmond PRO gears compaired to normal richmond gear sets, are not to be driven on the street. They are a harder material and can not take the heat of more than say a 1/4 mile pass.
                  XJ
                  MJ
                  Buick??

Comment

there is no reason to go anymore than 30 spline in a front 44 unless you run 60 outers.

the u joint and 19 spline outer shaft is generally what breaks. i have broken a small fortune of shafts and never an alloy inner.

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post
                      Thanks, but i think i'm just going to end up running 33 spline chromos with the treated gearset. That kit wouldn't work for me anyways i need 8 on 6.5 and this is for a front axle.
                      the lug pattern lies in your hubs, not your shafts

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                        there is no reason to go anymore than 30 spline in a front 44 unless you run 60 outers.

the u joint and 19 spline outer shaft is generally what breaks. i have broken a small fortune of shafts and never an alloy inner.
                        Is it worth it to run 60 outers, or am i just asking to strip gears?

Comment

if you are running 60 outers, just run a 60

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post
                            Is it worth it to run 60 outers, or am i just asking to strip gears?
                            an old school jeeper i know ran a ford hp d44 with d60 kingpin inner c's welded on and d60 knuckles hubs ect.. he ran it with 38.5" tsl sx's and a healthy v8 for many years. 0 problems, but its a lot of work, he did it for clearance. that being said, he pulled it in favor for a 60 (that he shaved... a lot) and sold it to my friend.

whats so bad with you axle as it is now, why do you need 33 spline inners? like sam said, you will be breaking ujoints, ears, and outers b4 you twist an inner spline. I have regular chromos and they hold up well
                            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Nothing is bad about my axle now, i'm just new to building up shit like this so i'm just soaking up all the info i can get so thanks for everyones input.

My goal for this setup is something reliable that i can take on some real technical sections. Not looking for a setup to beat the piss out of quite yet. Eventually when i get myself a nice healthy job i'm probably going to build up a grand cherokee on 33's for a capable rig that still drives nice, then build a 60 front and trailer the xj around to beat the piss out of it

Comment

Working...
                              X