Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tj 4 inch lift component questions

guys,

i am piecing together my lift right now and i have a few questions still but so far here is what i have.....

got 33" MTs
    4 inch adjustable trackbar for front
    adjustable rear uppers and lowers
    fixed 4 inch front lowers, stock uppers so far

i need.....
    some rims (in the process)
    coils
    shocks
    brakelines
    front swaybar connectors (leaving the rear fully out of the equation, it broke off about a year ago anyways)

i want eventually....
    SYE
    double cardan driveshaft

so here are my questions at this point:

1. do you think the front arm combo i have will set up my pinion angle well enough? i am pretty sure it will but wanted feedback.

2. will the adjustable trackbar work without using a drop bracket for the front?

3. i can go either 3" or 4" springs, what is everyone's opinion? i could go either way but then need to know what shock length everyone thinks i should go with to accompany those springs.

now i realize i did not list a rear trackbar solution but i have a very tall rear trackbar bracket on my 8.8 with multiple holes so it may line up correctly or i may need to move it around a bit - ill have to see once its done.

also realize the SYE is a good idea but i think i can get a good enough angle on the pinion with four rear adjustable arms.

like i said there are my questions and status, but if there is any other problems that anyone sees with what i am doing please throw it out there so i can figure something out for that.

and yes, i realize it will be slow as shit lol

thanks guys
    Last edited by konastinky1234; 04-27-2011, 03:39 PM.
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

why will it be so slow? is it a 4 cylinder? if not, 3.07s and 3.55s arent too bad on 33's.
    Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

so you're not buying my tires?
      1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
      1999 sierra
      1967 M725 Big and Slow
      -Dan

Comment

brakelines buy new, shocks buy new unless you know the person you're getting them from, and coils you can find on most any forum.

Comment

ya sorry man im gonna save some and just use the ones i had previously.

and in that case, does anyone here have some coils? i found some for 80 bucks a set on ebay and some car part place online so i was gonna get them from there.

Comment

how is your rear pinion angle foing to work out when u have no lift now and it is all sorts of fucked with all you adjustable arms? and bigbike has some 3 inch lift coild for an xj for sale. that might give you areound 4 to 4.5 for the front. right?
            -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
            -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
            -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
            -57 GMC Pickup
            -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

You'll be pushing it with the stock uppers in front
              dirty30

Comment

You'll push it like Dillon said ^ but I ran stock uppers in the front for 2 years and they were fine. I never had any problems. Only reason I took them out was because I upgraded to clayton long arms.

The front track bar will work without a bracket I believe. I know mine does. I want to get a double sheer setup though.

As for height thats really up to you. Not really going to make a difference. Might want to run a TC drop with 4". If you wanna go that way I have one for sale
                Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

i found a set of 3 inch coils with shocks on ebay for $290, looks similar to a rough country type kit. i think i am going to get these for my coils and shocks and then my pinion angle will be one inch closer to not being awful even though i think it'd be fine. i talked to a couple guys who ran with a 4 inch setup and no SYE or aftermarket driveshaft and they said it got the job done so i think i can pull it off with 3 inches for sure.

Comment

If you do decide to go three inches, there are many cheap routes you can take. Ironman fab has some great adjustable arms that are seriously dookin for not alot of $$. As for springs, I did XJ springs and 2" spacer in the front and crown-vic coils in the rear to get my 3". You can also do V8 ZJ springs and forget the spacers in the front... Just sayin... At 3" you can run your stock control arms, but mine creaked and twisted while flexing so bad that I felt they needed to be upgraded. I would also seriously consider re-gearing to 4:88 if you're tossing 33"s on a 2.5L, made a WORLD of difference in mine, and brought my speedo as well as my shift points right back to almost dead-on stock.
                    Shane "The Bag" Carlson

2.5L TJ, 5-speed, frankenlift, and stuff.
                    My "Bucket" Build
                    MilitaryJeepers.com
                    ‚——P--;===±--= <-
                    !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

stock uppers in the front work well until they do this

on a side note, if you want some starter 4" lift shocks ( 2 fronts used) 1 rear (almost new) for a TJ pm me, the price is very cheap
                      up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                      eliminator MJ - Sold
                      99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                      Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by konastinky1234 View Post
                        i found a set of 3 inch coils with shocks on ebay for $290, looks similar to a rough country type kit. i think i am going to get these for my coils and shocks and then my pinion angle will be one inch closer to not being awful even though i think it'd be fine. i talked to a couple guys who ran with a 4 inch setup and no SYE or aftermarket driveshaft and they said it got the job done so i think i can pull it off with 3 inches for sure.
                        so if i help with the install can i have your zj springs??
                        -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
                        -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
                        -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
                        -57 GMC Pickup
                        -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Working...
                        X