Evap system leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evap system leak

so i was driving to work the other day and my check engine light came on. I had my friend come over with his code reader and it read large evaporator system leak. Iv look everywhere i can think of and cant find the leak anywhere. I have a 98 XJ with a 4.0 motor. anyone have this problem and can think of anything else to check?
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you. If I Die, You are Forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.

how did you check ? just look at things ? things can look fine and throw that code how old is gas cap ?
    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
    eliminator MJ - Sold
    99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
    Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Look inside the gas cap,if the center has a rusty look to it coming out of the vent thats prob it,also a purge solenoid that is not sealing correctly can cause it,check all the lines from the purge valve to the gas tank and where the sending unit sits in the tank.

Comment

i checked the cap it looks fine and also the valve inside the neck. my friend told me a trick he uses to find the leaks, spraying starting fluid on all the lines. it will cause the engine to rev, but no luck. i got underneath and felt around the top of the sending unit but didnt feel any air movement suggesting a leak there
        Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you. If I Die, You are Forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Comment

Dear Campbell,

please edit your sig so the lyrics read correctly.

"...If I live, I will kill you, if I die, you are forgiven..."

Sincerely,

Another Lamb of God fan

As for your question, I would also start with the gas cap, lines, tank, then charcoal canister
          Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
          didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
          Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
          he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
          Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
          i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

Thank you for the correction i havent even noticed it until now. my bad

Comment

I was also thinking it might be the charcoal canister, or the LDP itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Dcampbell98XJ View Post
                i checked the cap it looks fine and also the valve inside the neck. my friend told me a trick he uses to find the leaks, spraying starting fluid on all the lines. it will cause the engine to rev, but no luck. i got underneath and felt around the top of the sending unit but didnt feel any air movement suggesting a leak there
                I don't think that works for evap leaks, that works for vacuum leaks though for sure.
                1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                1999 sierra
                1967 M725 Big and Slow
                -Dan

Comment

Working...
                X