Front diffrental gear break in period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front diffrental gear break in period

Whats the best way to break in the gears on a front axle after ring and pinion swap ?
    01 tj

You will get varying answers for this. Some say drive it 500 miles and then change the fluid. Some say drive it on the highway so it heats up, then change the fluid. Some people say change the gears and run it.

IMO if you just drive it around for a little bit to get them warm, maybe take a few miles on the highway, go home and let them cool down completely I think you will be fine. Just change the fluid after 300-500 miles and you should be good to go

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

When we do diff overhauls at work on customers cars,they take em and drive em with no break in and we've never had them come back with any issues.

Comment

should I engage the 4 wheel drive though? Yea ive heard many diffrent things so I wanted to get some opinions.
        01 tj

Comment

I did mine only 100 mile break in 90% rear wheel drive. seems to have worked
          Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
          93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
          Eric

Comment

the gears will be spinning in 2wd

Comment

how many light street miles do you think strict trail rigs and race cars get before they beat the shit out of em'?

they say you just need a few good heat up/cool down cycles and you are good to go. i just put 500-1000 mileso n em, change the fluid and call it good. i dont change my driving style or anything
              www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
              X