lifter issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lifter issues?

Last weekend I developed what I thought was a lifter tick. For the past two months it was only making a slight tick when I would cold start it. when it would warm up, it was fine and made no noises. I just pushed it off as an exhaust leak knowing that my header is cracked. Well last weekend, it came in full force, while the engine was at operating temp. I was wheeling at the time. I drove it home from CT and it felt as if the engine was running just fine. no lack of power, no sputtering of backfiring, nothing. It felt just dandy. Soooo I decided to do some tests when I got home.

Test 1: Pulled off an injector at a time seeing if the tick went away. From what I know and was told, this would cause it to be a dead cylinder and prevent any pressure being applied to the piston. Thus ruling out a bottom end noise/knock.

Test two: exhaust gasket blew out. false, pulled it off, everything looked fine. It sounded as if the tick was in the back, on the header side of the engine. at least it was louder on that side.

Test 3: Compression test. all cylinders were between 149 and 152. I did this because I figure if there is a bad lifter, it would most likely cause a misfire due to the valve not opening and closing properly. Since my numbers were in spec, it seems it may not be a lifter tick. However, it could still be?

So now while i have some down time because I dont have the correct socket to pull the head studs out, I figured I would ask if anyone has some experience with this. Once I get the head off I will be able to see any collapsed lifters and I can inspect them. If nothing is wrong there, Im pulling the pan and seeing if any piston skirts are broken. my next idea is piston slap.

how is my aim? if I cant figure this out I think im going to get an engine and swap it in. and if anything is wrong with the pistons Im swapping one in too. I dont want to put 300+ bucks into the engine and find out I didnt fix the problem. Not if I can get a good engine with possibly less miles for 150-200 bucks.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

4 Lites are know for lifter noise/issuses so I wouldn't rule that out. Maybe a good time for an oversized mopar cam kit?

Comment

I have a tick coming from the same area but im also having what seems to be a fuel related problem unless the lifter would cause little to no throttle response under hard acceleration. Im gonna run some seafoam in it for like 15 min, then change the oil and see if anything clears up.
      God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

I have the same issue on mine. I did do a fairly complete tare down on my engine but could not find anything wrong but I did clean out a metric ton of sludge. Still makes a slight tick 24/7 though. I just chalk it up to a noisy lifter and leave it at that.
        Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
        93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
        Eric

Comment

found my lifter issues

Comment

Texting for details

Comment

And obligatory Stroker time! Suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
                And obligatory Stroker time! Suggestion
                instigator

Comment

whats the plan... fresh bore?

Comment

That sucks man. How many miles and what weight oil were you running? Seems I've been seeing more 4.0's with broken piston skirts lately. Most are 96+ motors. Didn't they switch to aluminum pistons in '96?
                    -Josh

2000 Jeep Cherokee 2" lift, 30x9.5 General Grabber AT2

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                      whats the plan... fresh bore?
                      gonna hone it out and throw a new piston/rod in. new lifters too while im in there

Originally posted by jeepkid03 View Post
                      That sucks man. How many miles and what weight oil were you running? Seems I've been seeing more 4.0's with broken piston skirts lately. Most are 96+ motors. Didn't they switch to aluminum pistons in '96?
                      I found a lot of this happening when I was looking for 4.0 lifter issues on google. People were saying that it sounded just like a lifter noise...which it definitely did in my case. I pulled the pan as a last result "I hope i find something" situation and I did. as for switching to aluminum pistons in 96+ Im not sure.

Comment

Yeah I just did some searching and it looks like they switched the pistons in '96 to help quiet the motor down some. Not sure if it has anything to do with it though. I haven't seen many (if any) earlier 4.0's with piston skirt issues.
                        -Josh

2000 Jeep Cherokee 2" lift, 30x9.5 General Grabber AT2

Comment

Working...
                        X