Ocasional Misfire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocasional Misfire?

Recently i've been having a random misfire when the jeep sits at idle for around 5 mins. I had to pull someone out of the mud tonight, and when i put the jeep in 4low, the misfire instantly happened as soon as i let out of the gas. Any ideas? the jeep has been running like shit performance wise, and i just did plugs and wires about 2 months ago.

Edit: Talked with my dad, i know he said it may be because of my lifter tick, have to run seafoam throught it, then throw some rotella in for an oil change
    Last edited by LittleD; 03-24-2011, 08:37 PM.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

how's the cap/rotor? did you gap your plugs? dieletric gease anything?

Comment

Not sure on the cap/rotor, those got a while ago. Took the jeep on the trail today, it misfired so bad, it wouldn't even move, had to get pulled to a part where i could roll down a hill and get some momentum ( very scary going down a windy trail thats just wider the jeep at 15mph) and barely made it out of the entrance/exit that is just a gravel road up a not very steep hill. Lets just say the jeep sounded like a dirtbike engine and stalled twice. Im thinking its the cap/rotor because when i accelerate, before it shifts, it seems like it will accelerate, then bog then accelerate again rapidly.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

never hurts to pull it and see what the plugs like or cap/rotor doesnt take long to do.
        up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
        eliminator MJ - Sold
        99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
        Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Bump:

I noticed the jeep was backfireing through what sounded like the plug wires were bad, so i had those defected (2 months old) when i was under acceleration. It was like i had a giant dead spot because at one point i would be accelerating, as i continue to push down on the gas pedal, it would have little to no response, then when i was almost at the floor, it would pop like a mofo.
          took off each wire off the cap each one arks, and each one causes the jeep to idle rough.
          I noticed the tranny line that meets at the bottom of the radiator after the 45* has a bit of a leak recently. The jeeps rpm's will raise and dip 2 or 3 times before shifting.
          Replaced the 02 sensor which made a world of difference in how well it ran, it's a little worse than im comfortable with.

Edit: did the oil change, ran a can of sea foam through the tank, and a can through the throttle body, still have a lifter tick (i think it's a lifter).
          Last edited by LittleD; 04-15-2011, 07:10 PM.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

by the title i thought we were talking about a personal problem

my jeep did the same thing. does your oil pressure gauge drop when it idle?
            -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
            -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
            -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
            -57 GMC Pickup
            -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by CntStpTheStnk06 View Post
              by the title i thought we were talking about a personal problem

my jeep did the same thing. does your oil pressure gauge drop when it idle?
              [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY[/ame]
              sorry I had to and Just chiming in here my Jeep does the exact same thing and when at idle my oil pressure gauge does drop off a bit, not badly, but definitely noticeable.
              Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
              93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
              Eric

Comment

My tj does that too once in awhile engine light comes on with the code multiple misfire it usually clears it self though no clue what causes it. it seems to be running fine though even when the code pops up
                01 tj

Comment

Oil pressure is always at about 60psi

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

whatt???? My renix used be at like 50 cold and then like 20 hot. Maybe 20.
                    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                    1999 sierra
                    1967 M725 Big and Slow
                    -Dan

Comment

my old xj at idle would drop to 0, and the check gauges light would come on. i was told i needed an oil pump but i just ran her till she blew up, it sounded like a diesel and ran for another 50k
                      -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
                      -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
                      -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
                      -57 GMC Pickup
                      -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

ill take some pics tomorrow, gonna pull the valve cover off later in the week and check the valve springs and the push rods

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

i have a mint engine sitting on a hoist if you need it.......just sayin
                          1992 xj Briarwood
                          Disconnect d30 5.13 Super 35 kit 5.13 36x14x18 TSL's
                          Welded front and rear
                          13' LED roof lights
                          Disco ball
                          Truck nuts
                          Spinners

Comment

so do i

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Working...
                            X