questions about 4.56 gears/ring/pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about 4.56 gears/ring/pinion

So this is what I found when popping my d30 front dif yesterday. Axle shafts are perfectly fine but ring, pinion, and all gears are chipped or literally exploded. Any ideas how much to fix this or where I can find the 4.56s. Not really good with dif internals.
    Last edited by Pdwighty; 03-06-2011, 09:28 AM.

if your bearings are screwed you might want to think abut starting with a fresh axle and cost would depend on whos setting it up and all the parts that were needed.

Comment

Seams like the bearings are good including the clamps to hold the bearings in but everything else is done.
      Last edited by Pdwighty; 03-06-2011, 11:16 AM.

Comment

well you wont be re-using any of them bearings, so i wouldnt worry bout that.
        it prolly wouldnt matter if ya started with a fresh axle or not cuz your gonna need a new carrier, gears and install kit anyways. so a new housing would be pointless (unless you find a 4.10 carrier in a housing)....

nice carnage...
        Originally posted by Ktmracer419
        some people choose video games
        some choose projects
        some choose welding random things together

Comment

http://completeoffroad.com/

Originally posted by Ktmracer419
          some people choose video games
          some choose projects
          some choose welding random things together

Comment

I see a little chip on the ring gear how is the pinion?
            You can probably polish up the chip and save the gears.

Completeoffroad has decent prices.
            Also worth calling Randy's Ring and Pinion tell them your with a jeep club and usually give a discount. both carry the same products.
            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Well I just basically did this as the factory limited slip had a clutch rip itself to pieces via the ring, pinion, and carrier. It was not nearly as bad as that carnage...nice by the way... but here is a general list of what it looks like you'll need based on the prices I've seen:
              Carrier: $70
              Ring & Pinion: + or - $150
              Master overhaul including bearing: around $150
              Spider gear and washers and cross pin set: $110
              Random parts in the housing that look gone: from $50 to $150
              Seals: $50
              Shop install of all of the above: $300
              Total to fix yours: about $980 I spent a tad less than $2000 for basically this on both axles, with complete mounting locations welded onto the rear, so that is a reasonable estimate.

People sell axles anywhere from $700 on up to $2500 and finding the right gearing is luck of the draw. Also if you get a 30 9 times out of 10 they are reamed for 1 ton so you need $100+ new ball joints as when you re-install your knuckles you will probably bust the ones in there. Or $400 for 1 ton steering but definitely worth the upgrade.

Just my 2 cents
              Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
              93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
              Eric

Comment

a dana 60 is the only reasonable option.
                No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                  a dana 60 is the only reasonable option.
                  [Like]
                  2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                  MK2 Jetta > M3
                  Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

I think wickedxj's assessment is very off. Check on naxja or neow or here for a geared 30. You can sometimes pick up a 30 geared for a steal. Hell I got a geared 30 for a hundred bucks. If you need to swap the knuckles you can also save the balljoints.

That being said, maybe it's time for some bigger axles

Comment

Ring gear and pinion are not fixable, and not jumping to d60s or bigger.
                      Rear is a d44. And already have complete's 1ton steering in basement waiting.

So I guess the search for a used d44 or d30 already geared begins.
                      Let me know if you guys stumble across anything.

Comment

Might have a hook up for you if your looking for a early 70s bronco 44

Comment

Ordered everything from completeoffroad last night. Damage came out to $350. Not too bad!

Comment

Originally posted by Pdwighty View Post
                            Ordered everything from completeoffroad last night. Damage came out to $350. Not too bad!
                            good thing i stopped over

Comment

Working...
                            X